Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads about inadequate heat in some TJ's, mine had a problem with low air temp. I checked the blend door as was suggested in some posts & it was working good. Pulled the heater hoses off & tried flushing with a garden hose, I barely got a trickle through it. I went to the local hose shop & bought some fittings to back flush it using air and water. Wow, what a difference! Looked like mud coming out for a while! Now I've got great heat!

2011-12-12 16.57.41.jpg
Here's a pic of the setup I used. Garden hose fitting at the top, blow gun on the right and 5/8 hose barb to hook to the heater hose. I used the blow gun so I could regulate the amount of air I was putting in (plus that's what I had handy!). Cost was about $15.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is a very common problem on the GM 4.3 vortec motors... About 95% its a clogged heater core and I fix it the same way except i use a rag and blow gun works great! Just like poping a pimple :punk:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This is a very common problem on the GM 4.3 vortec motors... About 95% its a clogged heater core and I fix it the same way except i use a rag and blow gun works great! Just like poping a pimple :punk:
I've had to flush the heater core on my s10 blazer a few times.

Any insight as to why those engines produce that red mud like they do?
It's the coolant and people not using distilled water.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Any insight as to why those engines produce that red mud like they do?
Is the coolant red or orange? It is likely iron-oxide or better known as rust. If you are getting rust, it is likely the lack of sufficient corrosion inhibitors in the coolant, wrong coolant, wrong coolant spec, or low coolant levels. Distilled water is lot more corrosive then non-distilled water. However, if you use hard water, you will end-up with scale. Coolants are all designed to work with distilled water as far as I know.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
I have a continuing clogged heater problem. But after flushing it about once a month for 4 months it's getting. Better an better. Stuff comes out everytime. No clue where it's coming from.....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's the metal corroding. Make sure you are using the correct coolant and at the right concentration and only use distilled water.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
WaterDR said:
It's the metal corroding. Make sure you are using the correct coolant and at the right concentration and only use distilled water.
Yeah. Won't lie I just use tap....

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
No you can take the hoses to and from the heater core and put a wood plug with no hole clamped to both so no flow and no heater but engine cooling unaffected

However the same gunk that clogs the heater core can clog the radiator

Also the one time I plugged the heater hoses when I reconnected them a year latter that core started leaking. Only an N of one but in my case stopping flow to core was not good for core lifespan

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
My 57 owners manual says distiller water for battery and antifreeze rainwater mx for radiator. The 50 50 mix if paying a lot for the water and mixing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts