Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
within the past month I noticed a clunk coming from the front end of my 2017 jku hard rock. Im running a 2.5 inch metal cloak game changer on 33s with fox shocks and steering stabilizer. Ive searched other forums and none seem to come up with a solution and my case seems different from the rest.

The clunk seems to occur whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right and it usually only happens the first time I turn the wheel for the day. It happens if I'm parked or if im moving. The clunk can also be quiet or almost alarmingly loud. It does occasionally happen a 2nd time but not often and you can feel it in the steering wheel besides hearing it. Other than the clunk, the jeep drives straight and the steering feels good.

Ive crawled under the jeep and I don't see a place where anything is binding. There is no shiny metal that would indicate something is moving. Next week ill probably crawl under and torque all the suspension parts to spec if a solution doesn't pop up here.

I almost forgot to mention that I did take my sway bar links off to see if that was it but obviously it wasn't the answer. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Hi everyone
within the past month I noticed a clunk coming from the front end of my 2017 jku hard rock. Im running a 2.5 inch metal cloak game changer on 33s with fox shocks and steering stabilizer. Ive searched other forums and none seem to come up with a solution and my case seems different from the rest.

The clunk seems to occur whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right and it usually only happens the first time I turn the wheel for the day. It happens if I'm parked or if im moving. The clunk can also be quiet or almost alarmingly loud. It does occasionally happen a 2nd time but not often and you can feel it in the steering wheel besides hearing it. Other than the clunk, the jeep drives straight and the steering feels good.

Ive crawled under the jeep and I don't see a place where anything is binding. There is no shiny metal that would indicate something is moving. Next week ill probably crawl under and torque all the suspension parts to spec if a solution doesn't pop up here.

I almost forgot to mention that I did take my sway bar links off to see if that was it but obviously it wasn't the answer. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? Thanks
Could be that you axle is shifting? I would check the track bar holes to make sure they are not oblong and torque the bolts down. I think you are on the right track to "crawl under and torque all the suspension parts to spec". You make also want to check your ball joints. I would start by having someone turn the wheel while you are under the front watching for movement. That may lead you to the cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be that you axle is shifting? I would check the track bar holes to make sure they are not oblong and torque the bolts down. I think you are on the right track to "crawl under and torque all the suspension parts to spec". You make also want to check your ball joints. I would start by having someone turn the wheel while you are under the front watching for movement. That may lead you to the cause.
Today when I was driving I realized that the clunk only happens when I turn the steering wheel past the center position. For example if Im parked and turn the wheel from center to the right, Ill hear the clunk or if Im driving and make a left turn followed by a right turn, I won't hear the clunk until I turn the wheel past center. Because of that I feel like it couldn't be the axle shifting because I would think the axle would shift no matter when I turn the wheel, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
I think I would check to make sure your track bar mounting holes aren't ovaled out and that the track bar bolts are tightened to the 125 ft/lbs they require, for starters.
You could also have someone turn the steering wheel while parked and you could be under the front end looking for whatever has play.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any rust on your upper or lower steering shaft? I’m not looking at my Jeep now, but my 4Runner had a “clunk” similar to what you are describing and it ended up being corrosion of a joint on the steering shaft.

·
Super Moderator
22,466 Posts
I know two different people who have metal cloak 2.5 and 3.5 game changers that have the same issue (one 2 door and the other 4 door). first thing it pops and then does not do it again unless it has sat for several hours and then it still might not do it until the next day. Initially i thought was a coil popping back into place but impossible to tell because so hard to duplicate. I know neither of these were ball joints as both new low mile units.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any rust on your upper or lower steering shaft? I’m not looking at my Jeep now, but my 4Runner had a “clunk” similar to what you are describing and it ended up being corrosion of a joint on the steering shaft.
I just looked at the steering shaft today wondering if it could be hitting something in the engine bay but I doesn't appear to be and its rust free. there is a boot on it that I've read if you slide it back there is a grease fitting but I haven't tried it yet.

I know two different people who have metal cloak 2.5 and 3.5 game changers that have the same issue (one 2 door and the other 4 door). first thing it pops and then does not do it again unless it has sat for several hours and then it still might not do it until the next day. Initially i thought was a coil popping back into place but impossible to tell because so hard to duplicate. I know neither of these were ball joints as both new low mile units.
Did they ever solve it or is it still occurring? It definitely sounds like the same problem. I never though it could be a coil, but I'll have to check it out. Ive been wondering if its a bushing on a control arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts