Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Whenever I press into my brake pedal far enough (from a low speed to sudden stop really) the pedal depresses more and follows with what I can only describe as a "clunk" and a vibration I can feel through the pedal. In the past it would happen rarely (mainly in cold or wet weather) so I never really thought much of it but as of about a week ago it started happening consistently after a hard stop, and continues to happen whenever I stop like I described above. I took it to a repair shop I trust and they told me that they think it is the ABS system false cycling due to me upgrading to 33 in tires from 31 in about three weeks ago. They were unable to finish their diagnosis because apparently their computers couldn't read the data output from my Jeep (it's a 2004 so not too old...) and they said I'd have to take it to the dealer to narrow it down completely. Shortly before taking it to the shop I replaced the brake shoes, drums, and pads plus a brake fluid flush so it's possible I missed something there and screwed something up but I feel like the shop would've noticed something wrong during their full brake inspection.

I'm only skeptical of it being the ABS system for a few reasons:
1. It has occurred in the past (albeit rarely) before my tire upgrade
2. It did not begin happening immediately after the tire upgrade (I had about two weeks with my new tires and without this issue)
3. The ABS light (or any light for that matter) is not on in my dashboard.

I don't want to be complacent with my brake system malfunctioning but I'm wondering if anyone has some last minute advice regarding brakes, steering, suspension (the shop also said it could possibly be related to something regarding that but they still didn't find anything after inspection) I can try before spending an arm and a leg at the dealer? Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks in advance,

Nic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't notice anything when I replaced the pads nor did the shop mention anything about it but I can go in to have another look, thanks.

Also, do you think it's possible that it could be steering/drivetrain or suspension related? I feel it through the brake pedal so it seems to be brakes but I'm at a loss for what it could be

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts