·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock w/ 40k miles recently lifted
2.5" BB Lift w/ shock extensions
Rancho Geometry Correction Brackets
JKS Adjustable Trackbar

Just as the title says, when I brake somewhat hard in reverse I get a metallic clunk coming from the RF. I double checked everything from the lift & nothing is loose. No excessive play in the ball joints. No noticeable wear/rubbing.

No noise when going forward. No noise when driving, even over rough roads. No noise when I stand on the rails and rock the truck back & forth.

I took it over Brown Mountain & it clunked a couple times when the RF wheel drooped, but other than that, nothing.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you feel it in the brake pedal, or just hear the noise? Any chance you are hearing a shifting of the brake pads themselves, rotating slightly when in reverse?

Do you feel the noise anywhere else, like the steering wheel or in your seat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel it in the brake pedal, or just hear the noise? Any chance you are hearing a shifting of the brake pads themselves, rotating slightly when in reverse?

Do you feel the noise anywhere else, like the steering wheel or in your seat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Don't really feel anything, just the sound.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
brake rotors have a rotational play on the studs 1-2mm, so when you change directions the rotor will hit the studs, to check that remove the wheel and inspect the rotor, especially if you didn't remove those mounting clips from the studs those will make scratches/marks on the rotor if any movement is present . I have more movement in front than in the back though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shot in the dark but have you checked your front suspension/steering components for anything loose? I recently had a loose RF sway bar link that caused a clunking noise at times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shot in the dark but have you checked your front suspension/steering components for anything loose? I recently had a loose RF sway bar link that caused a clunking noise at times.
Yeah, I checked everything. I assumed it was something I did while lifting it but everything is tight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I checked everything. I assumed it was something I did while lifting it but everything is tight.
Gotcha. Just noticed that you covered that in your OP. Long day out on the trails so my head is working a little slow tonight. Might try pulling your brake caliper off and checking around that area.

·
Registered
306 Posts
brake rotors have a rotational play on the studs 1-2mm, so when you change directions the rotor will hit the studs, to check that remove the wheel and inspect the rotor, especially if you didn't remove those mounting clips from the studs those will make scratches/marks on the rotor if any movement is present . I have more movement in front than in the back though.
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like you have factory wheels. Do you have spacers? Did you check to see if the spacer is tight when you had the wheel off?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like you have factory wheels. Do you have spacers? Did you check to see if the spacer is tight when you had the wheel off?
Factory wheels. no spacers, tightened lug nuts to 125 lbf⋅ft - it helped, didn't really bothered me. At list i wont need a sledgehammer to remove those rotors when the time will come :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, factory wheels with spacers. I haven't had the chance to pull the wheels since the brake rotor idea was suggested. I will check into that as soon as I can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I finally got frustrated enough to put the Jeep on Jack stands & re-do everything. I broke loose every nut & bolt that was involved in the lift & re-torqued all of them to spec & no more noise. I'm a little irritated that I was not able to find the culprit but I'm glad the noise is gone. Thanks everyone who chimed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts