Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I turn the steering wheel to its limits (say in a u-turn for example) I hear and feel a clunking in my front wheels. 4wd isn't on because I only feel this when the wheel is turned 100%, and the tires aren't skipping around on the pavement. Should I be concerned, I know Jeeps make noise, this is just a new one to me hah

·
Registered
455 Posts
Either your tires are too wide and they are rubbing on the frame or something else, or your front axle U joints are bad. I would start by checking those two things.

To check if it's your tires, simply lock the tires out in one direction and then get out and check the clearance. If that isn't the case, check the U joints.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
As mentioned, if you have larger than stock tires on stock back spaced rims, the back inside edge of your tires are probably rubbing your lower control arms at full lock...look for shiny spots on your lower control arms. If that is the issue, install a couple of 3/8" flat washers behind your steering stops.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
Get a helper to turn the steering wheel back & forth (tires on the ground) while you watch the steering system to see where the clunk is coming from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it is the same "Clunking" sound that I get in my 2000 TJ it might be coming from the top of the sway bar link, where the sway bar and sway bar link meet. I just recently noticed my sway bar shifted to the driver side so now the meeting point of the sway bar link and sway bar grind and clunk against that portion of the frame on the passenger side.

Unfortunately that is the exact spot where the brake line is, the other day I must of hit a big bump because it ruptured my brake line so I had to splice it and bend it out of the way.

I am ordering a new sway bar/links because the bushings in the sway bar are completely corroding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts