Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon

my 2013 with 4,000 miles on it started having clunky pedal-itus while going over steep bumps at speed. Nothing in the steering wheel and it dosent get worse while turning.

I mostly get it over man hole covers or rouch road.

I verified all my my arm bolts and trac bar bolts were still torqued to spec.

I have read some thinks about the steering box and perhaps a steering sector shaft busing coming loose?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ForumRunner_20130717_154616.jpg

ForumRunner_20130717_154632.jpg

Took these pics of the steering shaft...let me know if anything looks out of place....I would like to avoid the dealer as they probably will give me grief about the lift

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is it heat related? As in if the weather is cooler does it do it? Theory is that the rubber boot about half way down the shaft gets too warm and the grease gets too thin. Causing the spline inside the boot to knock. The fix that helped me was to pump the boot full of grease and seal it back up with a hose clamp. Seems kind of new to be doing that already. Mine is a 2010 and I did the fix about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it heat related? As in if the weather is cooler does it do it? Theory is that the rubber boot about half way down the shaft gets too warm and the grease gets too thin. Causing the spline inside the boot to knock. The fix that helped me was to pump the boot full of grease and seal it back up with a hose clamp. Seems kind of new to be doing that already. Mine is a 2010 and I did the fix about 2 weeks ago.
It does it morning or night....

Doesn't seem to be heat related

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figure it out....

My PBA bracket mounted to the master cylinder was coming loose and hammering over bumps.

I would recommend lock tight and double nutting this set up as all bolts were tq to spec and I presume the vibration from the bracket caused the bolts to back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts