Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 98 TJ with the 2.5 and my throw out bearing started making noise the other day, so since I have tomorrow off from the fire department and part time I thought I'd get under there and replace it. Also my pinion seals on both axles are leaking so I am goin to replace those since I will already be dealing with driveshafts. My question to y'all is are there any tips or tricks that you have and could share with me. This is my first jeep and first 5 speed in a small vehicle (previously drove 18 wheelers). Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey guys I have a 98 TJ with the 2.5 and my throw out bearing started making noise the other day, so since I have tomorrow off from the fire department and part time I thought I'd get under there and replace it. Also my pinion seals on both axles are leaking so I am goin to replace those since I will already be dealing with driveshafts. My question to y'all is are there any tips or tricks that you have and could share with me. This is my first jeep and first 5 speed in a small vehicle (previously drove 18 wheelers). Thanks in advance for the help
I could be entirely incorrect but if you're referring to the throwout bearing that pertains to the clutch system you're going to have to drop the transmission to access it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Yep the throwout bearing is inside the bell housing between the engine and transmission so the transmission definitely has to be dropped to get to it. Replace your clutch while you're in there.

But, what type of noise are you hearing that you are attributing to your throwout bearing? Does the noise appear when the clutch pedal is in its normal up position and the transmission in neutral, or does the noise happen only when you step down on the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise is when I press the clutch. It's like a metal noise but the clutch isn't slipping. Working on replacing it right now but it's a pain in the butt. Took me awhile to get the shifter disconnected. I could push the disconnect down but it wouldn't turn at first.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Took me awhile to get the shifter disconnected. I could push the disconnect down but it wouldn't turn at first.
I really struggled with the same thing, it took me a while to get it to turn it far enough to get it unlocked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got everything changed and it works well but when i put it into 4 wheel it engages but the light on the dash doesnt light up. Any ideas, im sure its something simple that im missing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts