Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting a new luk clutch and flywheel in my 04 tj. this is my first "brand new" clutch. does anyone know what's recommended for the break in period?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Don't have the flywheel machined or resurfaced. Per the FSM (Factory Service Manual), you should only at the most remove any glazing that may/may not be present by a mild sand paper or emory cloth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks. not sure what you mean Jerry I'm suppose to sand the new flywheel before I install it? all I did was clean it really well.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Don't have the flywheel machined or resurfaced. Per the FSM (Factory Service Manual), you should only at the most remove any glazing that may/may not be present by a mild sand paper or emory cloth.
Why? When I put a new clutch in I had the flywheel resurfaced. That was 4-5 months ago and it's just fine. I had two mechanics with 45+ years of experience between them tell me I should resurface it.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Why? When I put a new clutch in I had the flywheel resurfaced. That was 4-5 months ago and it's just fine. I had two mechanics with 45+ years of experience between them tell me I should resurface it.
TJ flywheels are not flat like most flywheels. Therefore per the factory service manual should not be re surfaced.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most newer flywheels are not intended by the manufacturer to be resurfaced, that does not mean that you are wrong to do it. It is faster to change it out with a new one which is one aspect of why it is common practice to replace them not machine them. I personally recommend to always replace them if you can. I know from experience it is a bad, bad, bad day when you put a resurfaced flywheel on to find out that the machine shop did not do the work correctly and you get to start the entire job over. They also wear over time the thinner that they get the more chance that they will warp, this thinning is increased by machining. This causes shudder on take off which causes the clutch lining to wear faster, is hard on the springs inside the clutch(belleville and toque), and harder on the driveline. If you reuse the old flywheel and do not have it machined, it should be de-glazed with sandpaper, the thickness measured, and checked for cracks and hard spots. Hard spots are caused by heat altering the steel. They are usually very easy to spot after you clean up the flywheel

Jeremy
ASE Master Automotive Technician

1 - 9 of 9 Posts