Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen a few threads and questions about a creaking clutch when starting and shifting. Have a 2005 Willys edition X with that issue. Saw answers ranging from full clutch replacement to its a normal "wear and tear" sound from jeeps.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yeah, I've got the same thing going on with my clutch. It's an intermittent problem, sometimes it squeaks every time I press it, sometimes it makes no noise at all. From what I've read the throw out bearing or TOB is going bad. its located, erm somewhere in the transmission.

I've never done the job, and I'm not 100% sure that the TOB is the problem, but ive read that places.

I'm sure someone else has had the same experience as us and we will get their input soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, its rather annoying. Just hoping I'm not going to be out a lot of cash because of it.:eek: You tubed throw out bearing and the example there isn't the same sound. The clutch creaks even when jeep isn't running. Almost the same sound as engaging the ebrake. Attached a you tube vid that isnt mine but it is exactly what my clutch is doing.

http://youtu.be/RXNtXLugQmU

·
Registered
64 Posts
That creaking is probably from the springs on the pressure plate... and probably nothing to worry about at all.
Exactly. If your clutch is extremely hard to push, you probably have a pretty worn pressure plate. You can also try just removing your slave cylinder and putting a tiny bit of synthetic grease on the plastic cap of your slave cylinder's shaft. It could be squeaking where it contacts the shift fork (or release arm...whatever you want to call it).

And @JHerrington -- the TOB sits in the middle of the shift fork with two springs holding it in place. It rides on the main shaft of the transmission inside the bell housing and contacts the pressure plate springs to allow the clutch to disengage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info, bad thing is I'm not a mechanic and won't be able to pull of fixing it myself. Any idea what this might cost me or should I just live with it? Or is this something that will get worse and eventually need addressed anyways?

·
Registered
64 Posts
bcsatch said:
Good info, bad thing is I'm not a mechanic and won't be able to pull of fixing it myself. Any idea what this might cost me or should I just live with it? Or is this something that will get worse and eventually need addressed anyways?
Like I said -- one simple try at a fix is putting a little synthetic grease on the plastic cap of the slave cylinder shaft cap where it contacts the shift fork to see if that's not causing it.

If that's not it and your clutch still feels pretty good, then live with it until it needs to be replaced. A replacement clutch, pressure plate, release bearing (also known as the throwout bearing), and the pilot bearing all cost around $150 in a clutch set. If you have the right tools it will take around 4 hours. If you plan on doing it in your driveway, then...good luck. It's feasible, but not likely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like I said -- one simple try at a fix is putting a little synthetic grease on the plastic cap of the slave cylinder shaft cap where it contacts the shift fork to see if that's not causing it.

If that's not it and your clutch still feels pretty good, then live with it until it needs to be replaced. A replacement clutch, pressure plate, release bearing (also known as the throwout bearing), and the pilot bearing all cost around $150 in a clutch set. If you have the right tools it will take around 4 hours. If you plan on doing it in your driveway, then...good luck. It's feasible, but not likely.
Thats exactly what mine was. Pulled the slave out of the bell housing, wrapped a rag around my finger and wiped the shift fork clean where the slave push rod contacts it, applied a dab of grease to the plastic cap and reinstalled the slave. Noise was gone, and has been for several months now. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to do.
Rich

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thats exactly what mine was. Pulled the slave out of the bell housing, wrapped a rag around my finger and wiped the shift fork clean where the slave push rod contacts it, applied a dab of grease to the plastic cap and reinstalled the slave. Noise was gone, and has been for several months now. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to do.
Rich
Yeah. All it should take is a 1/2" deep well socket and maybe a short extension. Two nuts off and it's a simple fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts