Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 2.5 and I started hearing a noise when I am in neutral. when I press the clutch just slightly the noise will go away. I've had people say throw out bearing is going bad. I've read also that it could be a input shaft bearing. is that the transfer case input bearing or a transmission one?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I have a 97 2.5 and I started hearing a noise when I am in neutral. when I press the clutch just slightly the noise will go away. I've had people say throw out bearing is going bad. I've read also that it could be a input shaft bearing. is that the transfer case input bearing or a transmission one?
What does the noise sound like? If it's kind of a little rattle noise, it's likely a broken return spring if it just takes very slight pressure on the clutch pedal to make it stop.

If that's it, it really won't hurt anything....just annoying

If you have to push the clutch further than just slightly touching it, for it to quit, then it's probably the input shaft bearing of the transmission.

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Sounds like tranny input

Clutch on opposite end tranny from transfer case so with tranny in neutral tc unaffected by clutch

Bad throw out is noisy with clutch pedal full down

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so will I need to replace the whole input shaft? if I drive it like it is for awhile will it cause more damage?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts