Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Wrangler Sport manual with 96k miles. 3 months ago the clutch went out. I had a new clutch and slave cylinder installed. Last month the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't move. The shop replaced the slave cylinder again and bleed the entire system. Yesterday the clutch pedal went really mushy and slow to return after being depressed. I towed it to the shop. After sitting all night, the shop mechanic calls me and says nothing is wrong, the clutch was fine when he started it up. They are bleeding the system again. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sounds most likely like hydraulics to me, although there is a slight possibility that the throw out bearing carrier could have broken. Do you know what brand of clutch they installed? Hopefully it's all warranted by the shop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what brand the installed. I'll have to ask about the throw out bearing tomorrow. Is that something that effects the clutch pedal

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Not sure what brand the installed. I'll have to ask about the throw out bearing tomorrow. Is that something that effects the clutch pedal
It does, but typically once it's broken it doesn't work right at all...unless it just happens to catch right. Some brands of clutches (a lot of the ones sold by discount auto stores) use a bearing carrier with plastic ears that are known to snap. The throw out bearing (or release bearing) is what actually pushes against the pressure plate (the part that releases the clutch disk).

Chances are good that this problem is in the hydraulics...either air in the system, a bad slave, or master cylinder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its been runnung great for the past month till saturday. Hopefully its just air and they get it all out today when they bleed it again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They replace master cylinder and slave cylinder again....keeping fingers crossed this works this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts