Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Wrangler, 4.0l, 5-spd, 172,450 miles.
So, driving down the street. Stop and go. Getting a slight shudder/shimmy at takeoff while releasing clutch.
Stop at light, take off......
I go to shift into 3rd and the pedal goes to the floor. I pull it up with my toe, pump it a few times, and it goes down about 1” and feels like I hit a brick. Sandy/grinding sound coming tranny and it will not disengage the clutch.
Do the gas flutter and slide it into 3rd. Try the clutch again and no go. Pop it into neutral, roll to the curb and shut it down.
No usable clutch, running or not.
Just the 1” movement and grinding.
Master is a bit low on fluid - have that coming to add. Gonna be an hour or so.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW...
Was going to fuel up the Rv and tow this thing cross country to home.
No matter what the outcome, I will hook it up and get it home.
Just looking for ideas on possible issues to check and maybe make it a bit easier to get on the road (like make it drivable)

·
Registered
2 Posts
01 Wrangler, 4.0l, 5-spd, 172,450 miles.
So, driving down the street. Stop and go. Getting a slight shudder/shimmy at takeoff while releasing clutch.
Stop at light, take off......
I go to shift into 3rd and the pedal goes to the floor. I pull it up with my toe, pump it a few times, and it goes down about 1” and feels like I hit a brick. Sandy/grinding sound coming tranny and it will not disengage the clutch.
Do the gas flutter and slide it into 3rd. Try the clutch again and no go. Pop it into neutral, roll to the curb and shut it down.
No usable clutch, running or not.
Just the 1” movement and grinding.
Master is a bit low on fluid - have that coming to add. Gonna be an hour or so.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This sounds like the master / Slave for sure. filling it likely would not help, as the onset sounds sudden, and filling would just leak again...

You can get the master / Slaves as a sealed unit, no bleeding required, and it is super easy to replace. Do this, and you should be good to go.

(negative side - if this is not the issue, the problem would be inside the bellhousing, with the engagement of the throw out bearing, but this does not match your description).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooked up on the road and on her way fix it when I get home

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, made it back home. Jeep is up on the lift.
No leaks in the clutch system. Pulled the slave cylinder out and it appears fine.
The clutch fork is really loose and flopping everywhere. Tranny not out yet, but coming out tonight. Will see what things look like when I get in there.
Have a new clutch set standing by for install.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, tranny pulled.
Throw our bearing was shot. Attachment springs were broken, the arm was off its ball and hanging loose.
The sandy/grinding sound was the arm rubbing on the pressure plate.
New clutch kit is installed and tranny back in. Still need to get the drive shafts and skid plate back on.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All buttoned up and back on the road. Clutch is better than before, feels better and releases without going to the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts