Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drivin to work this morning I went to shift and the clutch went all the way to the floor and came back with no resistance whatsoever, I was unable to shift into gears too. I tried putting some fluid in it but it didn't help it leaked out immediately. it was coming from the slave cylinder, I changed it and when I added fluid it was pouring out the slave cylinder and from the tranny...I'm at a loss as to how to keep it from leaking from either. Is there a step by step procedure and also when I removed the old one there was no silver rod that was evident in the new one, is it in the tranny somewhere dancing around? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I noticed that my clutch had started making noises a couple of days ago and the clutch movement became gritty and rough around the bottom 3-4 inches when I would depress it, it's my only vehicle and I need to get to work safely. It's a 2001 wrangler and I can still shift into gear but it's painful to do so, I feel like I'll be tearing up my transmission.

·
Registered
290 Posts
drivin to work this morning I went to shift and the clutch went all the way to the floor and came back with no resistance whatsoever, I was unable to shift into gears too. I tried putting some fluid in it but it didn't help it leaked out immediately. it was coming from the slave cylinder, I changed it and when I added fluid it was pouring out the slave cylinder and from the tranny...I'm at a loss as to how to keep it from leaking from either. Is there a step by step procedure and also when I removed the old one there was no silver rod that was evident in the new one, is it in the tranny somewhere dancing around? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I noticed that my clutch had started making noises a couple of days ago and the clutch movement became gritty and rough around the bottom 3-4 inches when I would depress it, it's my only vehicle and I need to get to work safely. It's a 2001 wrangler and I can still shift into gear but it's painful to do so, I feel like I'll be tearing up my transmission.

I’m assuming you were referring to the master cylinder when you said added fluid to it?

What exactly is it that you’ve replaced?

In the unlikely event the rod became separated from the slave cylinder it technically
wouldn’t be in the tranny, it would be in the bell housing.

What kind of noises did it start to make? and when did this noise occur? during shifting? during idle? are you able to shift through the gears smoothly if the engine is off?

best case scenario you have a bad master/slave cylinder and hopefully not a bad clutch......or worse, a bad tranny (very unlikely but possible)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I was corrected today about the bell housing...and I've just replaced the slave cylinder...I'm learning as I go...and it sounded like whining and squealing noises at random times, I'd push in the clutch and it would change and/or go away. When the engine is off I can shift gears easily...even when it's on I can shift and move...not easily but doable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts