Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Am Leaking Fluid Out Of What Appears To Be My Throwout Bearing. Thinking Of Doing This Job Myself. Probably Will Replace All Clutch Components While I'm In There. Any Tricks Or Any Problems That I Might Run Into? I Have A 1990 Wrangler With A 2.5 4cyl. Looks Like I Might Have To Remove Part Of My Exhaust. I Am Going To Be Using The Haynes Manual To Help Me With This Job. This Manual Says Nothing About Exhaust Being Removed. Anybody Done This Job Recently That Can Give Me Any Pointers? Any Help Would Be Appreciated. About What Would A Mechanic Charge To Do This Job? Just Wondering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did this a few months ago. Take off your exhaust, it's easier. You will remove your mount/skidplate, just remember to put jack under your tranny/xfer case. It's better to use a transmission jack so you remove it straight. Unplug the hyd. clutch line and undo the bolts holding the tranny to engine. Remove driveshafts. Back the tranny out, either all the way out or just enough to work. slave cylinder just sits in there it doesn't screw in or anything. Replace clutch if needed. Here's a bit of advice to ease some pain ---- buy a $4 clutch alignment tool, if you don't use it, you will hate life for a long time. put it in then tighten clutch bolts (I think they're 23 ft./lbs), but don't quote me! --- check your manual. put back together in reverse. Use your manual, it helps!

Creeper

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd do a clutch kit (bushing, plate, pad, bearing) if you have the money. If your going to be in there you may as well replace the parts. Unless they are practicly new and don't have clutch fluid all over them. My guess is that they probably have some oil contamination due to the bearing leak.

Also, look at getting the flywheel resurfaced costs about 30$ and is kind of a pain to remove but it is worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have to do my rear main seal so I'm planning to do the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts