Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been a lurker on the forums for quite some time. I just ran into a few issues that I have not been able to google answers for, and maybe you guys/gals can help me out?
2000 Jeep Tj, 89k miles, Sahara 5 speed

1. After getting everything back together I hopped in the driver seat to find my shifter very lose. I couldn't feel any of the gears, and it was not springing to the middle like it used to. Here is a video of where the shifter goes into the transmission, am I missing parts?
https://youtu.be/eMVcWyWBeaQ

2. My jeep will not start, it turns over but no fire. I am in the process of disconnecting all the wires, cleaning them with break cleaner/electronic parts cleaner. The battery was disconnected throughout the whole clutch replacement, would this make the crankshaft position sensor fail? (No check engine light)

3. When I press the clutch in, there is little resistance compared to what there used to be. When I took the slave cylinder out, I zip tied it immediately to the lift post and never touched it until re-installment. When I reinstalled it, I made sure it was centered in the throw out bearing bracket hole..thingy.. I would assume the vehicle needs to run to get pressure in the system resulting in giving the clutch pedal more resistance?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
1. From the video it doesn't look like you're missing any part on the shifter. However, when you reconnect it, you have to be sure you get that ball at the bottom of the shifter into the socket in the tranny. My guess is you didn't have the ball in the socket.

2. As far as it not starting, are you getting any codes? Did you check voltage on the battery? Does it turn over strong when you try and start it?

3. If I'm not mistaken, the pressure of the clutch should be the same with the jeep on or off since it's a hydraulic system. I'll say this, when I did my clutch last month, I also thought something was wrong because of how little pressure there seemed to be when pushing the clutch in. As long as the slave cylinder is correctly installed and lined up with the throw out bearing fork, you should be good.

My apologies if I've stated anything inaccurate.

·
Registered
672 Posts
A new clutch will be easier to push that an old, usually so don't worry about that. You reinstalled the shifter incorrectly. Make sure it is fully seated in the tranny before tightening it down. Not starting is almost certainly related to the crank position sensor since that is the only thing you remove/move when you are replacing the clutch that would cause a no start condition. Just recheck all of your work/connections, etc. and you should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I re-set the shifter into the transmission, and made sure it was seated 100% inside the little pit. I still have a bunch of play in the shifter. Also, I tried seating the crank position sensor in the hole and I only got firing. I am missing the bracket that holds the CKS in place. I have looked at replacement CKS', but mine does not disconnect like all of the others I have seen. Pictures attached below, the wires from the CKS go into another group of wires.

ALSO, I found this on another thread and believe the black caplike part (bottom of shifter shaft) could potentially be my missing part to the shifter. (I know mine is slightly different)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I re-set the shifter into the transmission, and made sure it was seated 100% inside the little pit. I still have a bunch of play in the shifter. Also, I tried seating the crank position sensor in the hole and I only got firing. I am missing the bracket that holds the CKS in place. I have looked at replacement CKS', but mine does not disconnect like all of the others I have seen. Pictures attached below, the wires from the CKS go into another group of wires.

ALSO, I found this on another thread and believe the black caplike part (bottom of shifter shaft) could potentially be my missing part to the shifter. (I know mine is slightly different)

Turns out I was clearly looking at the wrong sensor...... The CKS was above the thermal shield part, hiding. I called around to various dealers and they did not have the part I was looking for, for the bottom of the shifter. I called a transmission shop, they had it. Will post pictures later on today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your CPS is on the bell housing at about the 10 o'clock position.
I attached the crank sensor and the jeep still does not fire up. Also, the grommets I received for the shifter were incorrect parts.. At least they only cost me $1.80 so the search for the right part continues..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I attached the crank sensor and the jeep still does not fire up. Also, the grommets I received for the shifter were incorrect parts.. At least they only cost me $1.80 so the search for the right part continues..
I'm a little confused, if you're missing a part on the shift tower and the jeep was functioning before you started the clutch job, where did the part go? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just curious.

I believe your jeep has an NV3550 tranny in it, same that's in my 03 wrangler x. I don't recall seeing the part you're looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a little confused, if you're missing a part on the shift tower and the jeep was functioning before you started the clutch job, where did the part go? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just curious.

I believe your jeep has an NV3550 tranny in it, same that's in my 03 wrangler x. I don't recall seeing the part you're looking for.
It is the 3550 tranny, and that part does exist. It must've fallen into the tranny, considering I have not seen it on the floor or anywhere else in the shop. You probably have never seen it because when you pulled your tranny it must've stayed in there. Dealers around me are all charging $72 for the plastic piece..of..plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts