Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so for the last 6 months or so my clutch fluid has been leaking VERY VERY slowly somewhere...I never got to it just kept puttin a little fluid in every month.

Last night I was coming up to a light after cruising in 5th for about 30 minutes and the clutch pedal went to the floor. - I wasnt too shocked since earlier that day i had told someone i thought the clutch was going.

I have an AX-15 installed but the cylinder is on the inside of the bell housing.

I took off the clutch cover (?) to see if there was any sort of rubber grommet sitting in there that had fallen off the line because the line going into the bell housing is really loose (i can wiggle it a pretty good amount.)

So my questions...

1. Has my clutch or pressure plate gone bad? (all teeth looked very good)
2. Is there anyway to inspect/replace the clutch cylinder without dropping the transmission?
3. I read yesterday that there are some AX15 Trannys with external clutch cylinders... Is there some way I can install one of those (ext cylinder) on my current setup? If so, would it be hunting at junkyards or is there a kit for it?

2 days before jeeptoberfest...... ugh.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
you gonna have to pull the tranny to put a slave cylinder..if the clutch looks great then you could reuse the clutch disc and pressure plate if you are trying to save money but I usually replace them too

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Movement on the lines going to the internal throwout bearing is normal. If it was leaking, you would see some evidence of this by removing the front inspection plate. You would also be able to see (more likely, feel) the fluid on the bottom of the pressure plate and the bottom of the inside of the bell housing.

Have you checked every inch of your clutch pressure lines coming from the clutch master cylinder? As small of a leak as you have, it sounds like it may be the quick connect on the line. Wipe the whole line down with an old white sock or rag. See what is going on.

The AX15 has a few options for an outside hydraulic throw out bearing and arm. NOVAK JEEP CONVERSIONS has a nice unit. If you want to go stock OEM, Quadratec should be able to help you out, but I am not positive.

Take care,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked every inch of your clutch pressure lines coming from the clutch master cylinder? As small of a leak as you have, it sounds like it may be the quick connect on the line. Wipe the whole line down with an old white sock or rag. See what is going on.
there was a little bit of fluid on on the bottom of the bell housing...

the master cylinder is still full...

would i be able to pinpoint this more if i opened up the bleeder and tried to bleed some fluid through? or would that not work?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, looks like i need to start hunting down the parts for the external slave conversion.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Based on symptoms it is your slave cylinder.

Mine went out last week, exact same thing. I floated gears all the way to a shop near work, 25 miles from where it went out. Crazy ride, good thing there were only 2 stop signs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
3. I read yesterday that there are some AX15 Trannys with external clutch cylinders... Is there some way I can install one of those (ext cylinder) on my current setup? If so, would it be hunting at junkyards or is there a kit for it?

----- I have an external for my AX 15 and I recently replaced the clutch and pressure plate. It looke like you could do a junkyard search and see if they will let you trade bell housings and throwout fork. Will also need the little ball thing that bolts to the bell housing... that holds the inside end of the fork, but that could come with the bell housing. Definetly something to look into, could be an easy swap. Also will need to track down a slave cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What year is your jeep? The older model AX15 has internal slave. I just converted mine to an external. This is good because if the slave ever fails you won't need to drop the tranny to replace. For now you will have to drop the tranny to fix. You will need a bell housing from a newer tranny. Also need the throw out bearing, fork and the slave itself. It's a pretty standard swap and can be done in about an hour once you have the tranny on the ground. You can get everything you need from a salvage yard. I find old XJs to be easier to come by than Wranglers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts