Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have been having some issues with my yj. Weeks ago I had to have the jeep towed because I couldn't not get it to engage any gears. I noticed sometimes that it would do this when I would drive alot or if it was really hot. It eventually caused me to need a tow and I assumed it was the clutch, even though I bought it less than 5,000 miles ago and when I did, I was told that it had a rebuilt tranny installed and a new clutch. Anyhow, I was reading about the clutch master cylinder and other possibilities so I decided to go check it out before I invested in dropping the tranny and replacing the clutch. Now there is plenty of fluid right now in the master cylinder but I have had to add fluid before. I decided to let the jeep run a bit and even noticed the clutch had some grab to it again, which is odd since the pedal was to the floor only a few weeks ago. I even took the jeep for a ride, although not a long one for fear it'd happen again. Anyone have any input or ideas? I've heard maybe I should bleed the lines/master cylinder or replace it altogether. It is pretty old so I imagine it could use a new master cylinder... But does any of this sound like it may be that simple? Or am I looking at replacing the clutch? Any help is very appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long thread, just dreading a clutch job.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The problem you describe is the hydraulic part of the clutch system.
First determine what's is leaking. The master will leak inside the cab on the firewall where the peddle connects to the plunger of the master. The slave cylinder leak will show underneath on the bell housing or inspection plate (cover). The fluid is brake fluid and has a distinct feel.

If its the master no big deal replace and bleed.
If it is the slave cylinder and I assume by your call sign it is an 88 you will have to remove the tranny to replace it if it is still an internal slave cylinder. A lot more work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey chief! Thanks once again for the input. I actually bled the lines yesterday and my clutch feels back to normal. I drove about fifty miles since doing so and it seems to be working fine now so hopefully I'm thinking air got on the lines and that is all. We will see!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sounds like you have it running, but that fluid had to go somewhere. It sounds like you have a leak, master, internal, or line your going to need to find it, and don't let your master go empty or more air will get in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Reno you are right I don't know where that fluid went and the level has been pretty stable since I bled the lines. Trying to keep an eye on it but I have bigger issues. This motor is in bad shape I think. It says it only has about 90,000 miles yet it leaks oil and a lot of it. I think it's coming from the pan or maybe rear main but cannot be sure. Last week I was driving and I heard a rattling from what I thought was directly under me, maybe from the cat. Ever since then I've been blowing blue smoke when it gets hot,
Especially at idle. I've read it could be blown rings or oil getting in the cylinders. I think it's safe to say it is burning oil pretty damn good. When I bought it I was told the cat probably needed to be replaced. Is it possible the cat was masking the smoke and that it went so now it's smoking a lot? Any advice would be great. I'm at a loss at the moment and really don't have to finances for a new motor at the moment. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Common oil leaks on a YJ are the Rear Main Seal (RMS), valve cover gasket, oil pan, oil pressure sending unit, distributor and some even leak at the oil filler cap. Best way to find them if they are not painfully obvious clean the engine with a spray on degreaser. Just keep the water from direct pressure on the wiring, distributor and carb.

Then it is just a matter of time most of the parts to fix the leaks aren't too pricey.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As always thanks chief. I've replaced the valve cover gasket, PCV valve, and oil pressure sending unit this far. I really think the oil pan gasket needs replacing but not sure how bad that is to do. I am goin to try replacing the cat and see if they contains the smoke because its almost too bad to drive. :/ thanks again ill keep ya posted!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts