Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a clutch noise, kinda like a revolving tick when in neutral. it's actually kinda a grinding noise, but not really.

when i push in the clutch pedal just a hair, and i mean A HAIR............the noise goes away.

can any1 help me diagnose and solve the mystery?

·
Registered
899 Posts
i have a clutch noise, kinda like a revolving tick when in neutral. it's actually kinda a grinding noise, but not really.

when i push in the clutch pedal just a hair, and i mean A HAIR............the noise goes away.

If I had to guess - throw out bearing!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Shift fork pads. TO bearing would rattle when you push the clutch. Common problem in NSG 370.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts

Yep. Like others have said, Throw Out Bearing. Had mine replaced under warranty 4 times. The last one has been quiet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
even if i just push in the clutch 1/8 to 1/2 an inch.......i literally just rest my foot on the pedal.........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most likely it sounds like it's the Throwout Bearing, but before you tear into it, stick your head under the dash around the clutch pedal area and see if you see or hear anything loose and/or rattling around the pedal.
Recently I had an import car rattle like that and after the owner had the clutch done at another shop, the rattle was still there. It turned out that it was a clutch switch bracket that was rattling. When he put pressure, any pressure, on the pedal, it loaded the bracket and the noise went away.
Just something to look at...

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
Most likely TOB, I'd replace the clutch and related parts while I'm in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, you guys. i believe it is the TOB, but it seems to come and go. the noise is not always there.

indicative that the TOB is heading there?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
thanks, you guys. i believe it is the TOB, but it seems to come and go. the noise is not always there.

indicative that the TOB is heading there?
Yes. One of the ones they replaced (lol) would only act up after I drove for 20mins and was warm. Loud when you are driving naked as I try to do most on the summer and when ever warm enough in MN.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK
182 Posts
99% sure it's your TOB. They are pretty much garbage, so good luck in finding one that doesn't chatter. Mine started doing the same 2 summers ago after installing a new clutch. It sounds like someone is shaking a box of nerds next to my Jeep while sitting in neutral with my foot off of the clutch. I just turn the radio up a little louder to try and drown in out. I'll worry about replacing it when/if it gives up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts