Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am new to this my jeep is a 2000 4cyl and I am having two problems. The first is when I put the key and turn it all my radio and wipers and heater works but as soon as i push in the clutch to start it it stops working but the jeep is running. The second problem is after I start the jeep if i push in the clutch it makes like a whinning/grinding type noise. Does anyone know what this could be and help thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya starter turns is over it is the thorw out bearing and just dont know what could be causing the radio and heater and the wipers not to work when the jeep is on and started but everything works fine when the key is in the accesorie position

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try your key, it might be stuck on start instead of run, so when u push the Clutch the starter engages causing that terrible noise. Also this would cause for your instruments to shut off while starting/ or in your case depressing the clutch. Just a thought check it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
carter.667 said:
Hey I am new to this my jeep is a 2000 4cyl and I am having two problems. The first is when I put the key and turn it all my radio and wipers and heater works but as soon as i push in the clutch to start it it stops working but the jeep is running. The second problem is after I start the jeep if i push in the clutch it makes like a whinning/grinding type noise. Does anyone know what this could be and help thanks.
Try your key, it might be stuck on start instead of run, so when u push the Clutch the starter engages, this would only happen if you have the clutch interlock, there's a fuse to turn this off. If the key Is stuck in start then that's what's causing that terrible noise, it's your starter trying to start while the car is running. Also this would cause for your instruments to shut off while starting/ or in your case depressing the clutch. Just a thought check it out, sorry for the double post

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes thanks it was the key stuck in the start possistion al my problems sloved thanks. I was wondering if anyone knows how hard and how much would it be to fix this. I s it easy or hard to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem. As for the changing it, Its fairly easy but probably unnecessary, have you ever had a problem turning the key to start, where your put it in and the ignition doesn't turn at all?. before you prepare for more work try using a different key. Or turn the key around, it might only do this on one aide but not the other. Also, Buy a Haynes manual it'll help you out alot for future projects although they didn't really break down the 4.0 too good.. Where ya from?

·
Registered
772 Posts
forget the haynes-pretty generic, and missing alot of stuff-bout as useful as an owners manual(has it's uses but not for repair, in depth info). it'll cost a little more but try ebay and look for an FSM (feild service manual) for your yr of jeep-look around, the prices are all over the place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya its just that the key gets stuck in the start position and just have to turn it back maually and now it runs just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same thing happens to me. I was driving my TJ from the dealership on the day that I bought it and noticed that most of the accessories (radio, heat, blinkers, etc.) weren't working. A little upset, I called up the dealer right away asking him "what gives?" After figuring it out, I just had to turn the key back a little bit and everything came on. It doesn't bother me much though...I'd rather leave it the way it is then ask for more trouble. I think this sort of thing is more likely to occur with copied keys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts