Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to taking my jeep off road. I made the beginners mistake of trying to cross water without testing the depth first and even seeing if tracks were on the other side and got stuck and the engine died. I was pulled out and attempted to crank, it cranked first try. The clutch however would not engage so i was towed out to the street and got a tow back to the house. Is the entire clutch in need of replacing or is there something that i could have messed up when getting stuck in water that is not allowing the clutch to engage?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Looks like fun! :rofl: be careful, you were pretty close to hydrolock! If you pushed in the clutch at all when you were under water, you got mud and water between the clutch pad and flywheel, probably ruining the clutch or throwout bearing. I would get all new parts for under there, should be less than $200 and get a luk clutch kit, thats what tthey use stock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thankfully i didn't get hydrolock that would have really ruined my day. Yea i pushed the clutch in tried to reverse out once i couldn't go forward anymore that didn't work either. Turns out the other side had a decent incline which my bumper got stuck in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Been there, done that. Two sundays ago. Sorry to hear of your issues. I got lucky and was able to power through it. I didn't loose the clutch, but my fluids were all toast. Definitely second the opinion of changing all of them. Engine, Diffs, Tranny, Transfer Case. The 2nd day after it happened my starter quit disengaging so I had to replace it. I'm guessing it was purely a coincidence but on the 3rd day after my thermostat died as well.

Guess we both learned our lesson! On the bright side we both got lucky and didnt lock the engines so at least there's that!

Not much help on the clutch issue I know but at least your not alone in your off-road rookie mistake! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Been there, done that. Two sundays ago. Sorry to hear of your issues. I got lucky and was able to power through it. I didn't loose the clutch, but my fluids were all toast. Definitely second the opinion of changing all of them. Engine, Diffs, Tranny, Transfer Case. The 2nd day after it happened my starter quit disengaging so I had to replace it. I'm guessing it was purely a coincidence but on the 3rd day after my thermostat died as well.

Guess we both learned our lesson! On the bright side we both got lucky and didnt lock the engines so at least there's that!

Not much help on the clutch issue I know but at least your not alone in your off-road rookie mistake! :)
Hey man....next time don't buy another starter. That is a pretty straight forward part if you take it apart. The reason it is not disengaging anymore is because the mud and gunk got into it with the grease that is in it. I have had this happen a few times. Just take the starter off, clean the mess out of it with brake cleaner or something, re-grease it and put it back on. Works like a charm. (def cheaper) I actually went to the length of sealing it with some RTV to keep some of it out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a new clutch installed, and went and bought all new fluids to start changing them out.this is my first time changing fluids besides engine oil by myself. i started with the rear diff. i drained it scrapped all the old rtv and put new rtv on and tightened it down and started bolting back and filling up. i noticed some oil on the bottom of the diff cover like it was leaking through, but it was not dripping. i left it for two night and still didnt notice any leaking on the floor. think i am ok or do i need to pump out and re seal it just to make sure?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got a new clutch installed, and went and bought all new fluids to start changing them out.this is my first time changing fluids besides engine oil by myself. i started with the rear diff. i drained it scrapped all the old rtv and put new rtv on and tightened it down and started bolting back and filling up. i noticed some oil on the bottom of the diff cover like it was leaking through, but it was not dripping. i left it for two night and still didnt notice any leaking on the floor. think i am ok or do i need to pump out and re seal it just to make sure?
it will be just fine. even if it is leaking, it isn't enough to be worried about. i'm guessing it's at about a drop a week it sounds like. Next time before you put it back together, take both plugs out and put some teflon tape on the threads.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks, also when i was adding the gear oil i filled it till it started leaking out the fill hole like i have read on here and seen in videos,yet when i stuck my finger in the hole i did not feel any fluid is that right? i am going to attempt the front differential in the morning.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ok thanks, also when i was adding the gear oil i filled it till it started leaking out the fill hole like i have read on here and seen in videos,yet when i stuck my finger in the hole i did not feel any fluid is that right? i am going to attempt the front differential in the morning.
Yup. it will be fine unless the drain plug wasn't in and it went straight through. Doubt you did that though. The reason that you can't feel any fluid when you stick your finger in there, the hole is a bit smaller than your finger and you can't get it in far enough.

you're fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i did not mess with anything else on the rear diff besides taking the cover off, but i got to like my 2nd knuckle on my pinky finger in the fill hole. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how bad is it to drive on the old fluids? i have read everyone saying it will eventually cause damage but are we talking like a good bit down the road or immediately? because i need to drive it to work and school and can change the fluids out within the next few days as i get more time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
how bad is it to drive on the old fluids? i have read everyone saying it will eventually cause damage but are we talking like a good bit down the road or immediately? because i need to drive it to work and school and can change the fluids out within the next few days as i get more time.
some owners don't even know to do this and those poor jeeps are still moving down the road. You will be alright going to school/work and back a few days. Wouldn't do any road trips. IMO as long as you get it within the next few days everything will be just fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks. Ya if I hadn't checked on here asking for advice I would not have changed them. So far both rear and front diff oils where just pretty black didn't notice any dirt or water in them

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just finished changing out all my fluids. The differentials gave me the most problem due to tight space on some of the bolts. My transmission fluid looked like chocolate milk. Glad i changed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have an automatic, I would change the fluid as soon as possible. Automatics really don't like water. Manuals tend to be a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I just finished changing out all my fluids. The differentials gave me the most problem due to tight space on some of the bolts. My transmission fluid looked like chocolate milk. Glad i changed it.
That looks bad like water got in. I'd flush it again after a few miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I will. I had to take it back to mechanic because I saw oil leaking from my flywheel plate after they replaced clutch and flywheel. Was told they flushed the transmission when they did that so that's after one flush apparently. On top of it all it sounds like my throw out bearing is making a louder noise than it was before I got new clutch in which the throw out bearing should have been replaced when the new clutch was installed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well turns out they said it looks like my rear main seal is leaking a little. They said replacing it might not solve it completely since i have high miles and there is most likely small groves on the shaft from the old seal so it will still leak some. they said use high mileage oil it will help a little with lubing the seal to get a slightly better seal. Any other suggestions?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts