Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Rubicon 5 speed

My son was downshifting from 2nd to 1st yesterday, and felt/heard a "pop" in the gear shift lever, and heard some rattling, and then the noise stopped. He lost all power to the drivetrain. The engine just revs. he pulled over and pushed in the clutch and shifted into first. Tried to take off, and nothing. Just revs the engine, like it is in neutral.

The clutch pedal feels normal and you can shift through all the gears as normal, just no power to wheels in any gear. It shifts whether or not the clutch is pressed in.

I checked to make sure that the transfer case was in 2W, and even tried the 4W hi and lo. Nothing changes and there aren't any noises that are abnormal.

so, where should I focus? Clutch issue or transmission?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
I'd first check the transfer case shifter linkage. It could have slipped out of adjustment so it's stuck in Neutral. Does the transfer case feel normal when shifting or does it perhaps feel like it's shifting maybe a easier than normal with less resistance between gears?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry, you sound like someone who might be able to offer me some help to my issue.

I have a 2002 wrangler and the clutch was replaced over a year ago and now the jeep will not go into gear while running. When I turn it off I can put it in gear but when I try to crank it (with the clutch pushed in) it still tries to jump forward
How do I tell if it's the master/slave cylinder or if it's the release / throw out bearing. I'm sure I could replace the master/Slave cylinder but I know nothing about the release / throw out bearing.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this to determine what the issue is.

Side notes:
1.) the clutch pedal feels normal and nothing seems different about the pressure.
2.) there is no noises, with its in neutral, nor when I depress the clutch pedal.

Please help! Thanks for your time.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Jerry, you sound like someone who might be able to offer me some help to my issue.

I have a 2002 wrangler and the clutch was replaced over a year ago and now the jeep will not go into gear while running. When I turn it off I can put it in gear but when I try to crank it (with the clutch pushed in) it still tries to jump forward
How do I tell if it's the master/slave cylinder or if it's the release / throw out bearing. I'm sure I could replace the master/Slave cylinder but I know nothing about the release / throw out bearing.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this to determine what the issue is.

Side notes:
1.) the clutch pedal feels normal and nothing seems different about the pressure.
2.) there is no noises, with its in neutral, nor when I depress the clutch pedal.

Please help! Thanks for your time.
Pull the slave cylinder out of the bell housing, hold the push rod against something solid (like the frame) and have someone very gently press on the clutch pedal to verify that the hydraulics are working....you have to be careful doing this as it's easy to blow the slave apart. If the master/slave is working, then it's time for a clutch job. Throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate, and pilot bearing all come in a clutch kit. (Use a LUK Clutch). If it is a slave/master cylinder issue, purchase the complete assembly....master cylinder, slave cylinder, and inter connecting line (prefilled and pre-bled).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry, I have checked the xfer case cable and all is operating normally. That was the first thing I checked and kinda hoped was the issue. No dice......

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Pull the slave cylinder out of the bell housing, hold the push rod against something solid (like the frame) and have someone very gently press on the clutch pedal to verify that the hydraulics are working....you have to be careful doing this as it's easy to blow the slave apart. If the master/slave is working, then it's time for a clutch job. Throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate, and pilot bearing all come in a clutch kit. (Use a LUK Clutch). If it is a slave/master cylinder issue, purchase the complete assembly....master cylinder, slave cylinder, and inter connecting line (prefilled and pre-bled).
X2 to this. Though my guess is there's most likely something wrong in the hydraulic clutch system... which would be good if that's the problem since it's so easily fixed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
???????

Maybe I should start my own thread to solve my problem, and let you guys help Hunter. Oh wait.....I did start my own thread. Anybody have advice on my problem or should we continue to help Hunter, who hijacked my post?

Sorry to be snotty, but all help on my problem is appreciated.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
???????

Maybe I should start my own thread to solve my problem, and let you guys help Hunter. Oh wait.....I did start my own thread. Anybody have advice on my problem or should we continue to help Hunter, who hijacked my post?

Sorry to be snotty, but all help on my problem is appreciated.

Don't know about your son, but your symptoms reminded me of my teenage years riding in my best friends old Chevy pick up. At a stop sign, he revved that thing up as high as it would go, then slid his foot off the clutch. We heard a bang and the truck just sat there. We towed it to his house and his dad, a Chevy dealer mechanic, tore it apart and found the snapped input shaft in the transmission. Needless to say, my friends story about just starting out normally from a stop sign wasn't bought by his dad.

If you can shift through all gears with the engine running and the clutch pedal up, the input shaft in the transmission is not turning; either because the clutch plate has broken away from it's hub, or there is a transmission problem....either will require you to pull the transmission to see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts