Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Jeep TJ Rocky Mountain Edition with 111000 miles 5 speed manual.
It was a particularly cold Boston morning, and when I was driving to work, I felt the clutch catching on something. It felt like it was overcoming like a ridge/a notch or something like that. It was very defined. In the way back home in the evening however, the clutch had the same symptoms, when I engaged it, I felt the same catching feeling, but then after a few gear changes, it became relatively soft in feel, and I when fully depressed, I could feel some vibrations. I drove home gingerly, about 4 miles, mostly engaging in 3/4 gear. I felt the vibrations all along the drive. I parked it in the garage, and then 2 days later when I started it, completely forgetting what had gone bad, I again felt the same vibrations the moment I depressed the clutch and put it in 1st. The catching feeling when I engaged the clutch is gone, but I could now feel the vibrations. I immediately switched it off and took the other other car out. When I got back, I checked everything...I engaged the clutch when it was not running, felt fine, the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, level of fluid etc...everything was fine... I have not started it back on, as I wanted to check with the forum guys first... Any advise, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is giving up. Most likely a throw out bearing coming apart or failing pressure plate, both part of a clutch kit. You won't really hurt anything by trying to drive it, but it could leave you stranded if it fails completely (which it will eventually).

When you replace it (or have it replaced) use a LUK clutch kit, and do not let anyone resurface your flywheel.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is giving up. Most likely a throw out bearing coming apart or failing pressure plate, both part of a clutch kit. You won't really hurt anything by trying to drive it, but it could leave you stranded if it fails completely (which it will eventually).

When you replace it (or have it replaced) use a LUK clutch kit, and do not let anyone resurface your flywheel.
X100 on all

Am doing my clutch job today, as this same thing happened to me last week. I was lucky, as mine did completely fail right as I was pulling into my parking spot at home....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I recently bought this, and I wish I could replace the clutch myself however my garage is small and with no help I wonder if I should even try?
Perhaps I should look for some TJ enthusiasts in the neighborhood and make an evening out of it..
Unlimited beer and spicy food... Any takers ??!!
Lol.
Thanks for the LUK clutch and resurfacing tip. Any idea what I should be paying in labor for this?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks guys! I recently bought this, and I wish I could replace the clutch myself however my garage is small and with no help I wonder if I should even try?
Perhaps I should look for some TJ enthusiasts in the neighborhood and make an evening out of it..
Lol.
Thanks for the LUK clutch and resurfacing tip. Any idea what I should be paying in labor for this?
Don't know what shop labor would be, but it wouldn't be cheap. I'm sure even buying a transmission jack and a couple of other new tools, you could save a ton. You don't need a lot of room, just a little more than your Jeep takes up. Here's a video we made a while back that shows removing the transmission if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXhdAG3qaE

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Lol.
500-800 for a shop.

Diy it. If I can do it, you can. I've wrenched on almost everything on a jeep except the tranny, big fear of mine. But I did my own clutch job and proud of it.

Biggest spend is for a good jack with transmission mount. More expensive than the clutch kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. Even my wife gave me her thumbs up to try it (its her jeep actually). I am psyched to give it a shot. Have been watching some youtube videos and the transmission removal video was certainly useful; Thanks! I have a couple of wheel ramps, that will give me some room to work under the jeep. This way, my jacks will be free to support the transmission. Need to get the reverse torx bits now...will keep checking in if I have any questions...
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question. What other parts should I consider replacing while I am at it? I have ordered the LUK clutch kit from Amazon which comes with the throw out bearing.
Also, I am still curious to find out what exactly we my wrong? What all components were failing and why/how? Just so I can register in my head how it feels when these fail... Thx

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
One more question. What other parts should I consider replacing while I am at it? I have ordered the LUK clutch kit from Amazon which comes with the throw out bearing.
Also, I am still curious to find out what exactly we my wrong? What all components were failing and why/how? Just so I can register in my head how it feels when these fail... Thx
I would just pick up a clutch return spring. They are usually rusty and break easily when taking them off. They are less than $5 at a dealer or you can order one here if you have the time to wait. Crown Automotive 4338855 - Clutch Fork Spring for 94-11 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK, 94-01 Cherokee XJ, 93-96 Grand Cherokee & 02-11 Liberty KJ & KK - Quadratec

Other than that, there is really nothing else you need. Pull your rear drive shaft, and the front (axle) end of your front drive shaft before lowering the skid. It will be much easier. We should have changed that in the video, but it was already a done deal.

If you have questions while you're doing it, shoot me a pm, and I'll answer any questions I can.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Waterdog, I found your video on youtube the other day. I plan on starting this project after I get off work tonight. Mine is a 2006 with a six speed. Is there anything majorly different on my set up than what you show in your excellent video?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Waterdog, I found your video on youtube the other day. I plan on starting this project after I get off work tonight. Mine is a 2006 with a six speed. Is there anything majorly different on my set up than what you show in your excellent video?
Shouldn't be anything significantly different. I'm not sure if the shift lever comes out of the 6 speed the same way, so you might want to check the manual on that. The one thing I would recommend is pulling the rear drive shaft, and the pinion end of the front drive shaft before lowering the skid. (use the reverse order when reinstalling). It will be much easier to get the u-joints out of the yokes without the transfer case hanging down.

Have fun..!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts