Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the clutch pedal. When driving i tend to hold the clutch pedal down at a stop light and hold the brake. Does this cause any problems or excessive wear on anything?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Not on the clutch plate because once the pedal is all the way down you are riding the pressure on the throwout bearing. When the clutch is in transition it rubs the clutch plate. So it is not a bad habit. Usually once I am at a stop I shift into neutral and wait for the light and then shift into first. Some of the lights here in Vegas are long soplenty of time to take a break for my knee.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok..so it could cause the throw out bearing to wear out sooner? I have a light squealing noise when im at idle...i cant tell its not coming from the engine or belts. If i idle it up a little it goes away. Its not constant either....its very irregular in the fact that it comes and goes...sometimes it will stop and start. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Squel whistle vacuum leak??? I have a squeak at idle sometimes turns out it was the drivers side hood latch the metal ones you pull up on after you close the hood. So it could be something really weird from the vibration. May not be engine related.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm..ok. i will have to investigate a little further. I think it may have something to do with the drive train...ie clutch system, because when its doing that and i press on clutch it affects the whining/ squealing noise. Are there any air lines going to the drive train?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
No and if it is whinning is it the power steering pump maybe the alternator under the hood???

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Humm..ok. i will have to investigate a little further. I think it may have something to do with the drive train...ie clutch system, because when its doing that and i press on clutch it affects the whining/ squealing noise. Are there any air lines going to the drive train?
could be the throwout bearing or possibly the input getting ready to go. They do make a ringing whistle noise sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts