Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got done replacing my clutch ( was smoked real bad) and everything went together real nice, and I got in and took it for a test drive and the first thing I noticed is the pedal feels real soft, I mean softer then any car that I have ever drove. It goes into gear real nice and smooth and does not feel like any things binding, I checked the fluid and it seems fine. I'm wondering if that's ok or if there's something wrong. Please help

·
Registered
54 Posts
What brand did you go with for the replacement ? I just replaced mine about a month ago with a centerforce stage 1 and she is soft also. Does everything she is suppose too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand did you go with for the replacement ? I just replaced mine about a month ago with a centerforce stage 1 and she is soft also. Does everything she is suppose too.
Went with a luk stock replacement. And it works ok but real soft

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I also noticed my new LUK clutch took a lot less pressure on the pedal than the original, but after driving it for a day or two it seemed normal. It works very smooth. I think it's just getting use to a different feel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with water dog it just may take some getting use to. I think they are built that way for when your off road rather than having to jump on the pedal at an incline you can just gently push in the pedal.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you didn't open the hydraulic system and introduce air into it, then go on and enjoy your new clutch!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well u could try to bleed the system or u could possibly hve a bad slave cylinder...i replaced my slave and master at the same time and got air in my lines- bled them but its still really soft, new luk clutch as well- had my neighbor who is a certified mech who owns his own business check it out and he says it was fine.
Slave cylinder is cheap and if urs is the original- i would replace it...BUT check for a leaky line, or air in the lines first!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well u could try to bleed the system or u could possibly hve a bad slave cylinder...i replaced my slave and master at the same time and got air in my lines- bled them but its still really soft, new luk clutch as well- had my neighbor who is a certified mech who owns his own business check it out and he says it was fine.
Slave cylinder is cheap and if urs is the original- i would replace it...BUT check for a leaky line, or air in the lines first!
Well I thougtht that it came back, however I was wrong I lost all clutch pressure and now I have little white cotton looking things in the master so idk>:banghead:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now the thing will not go into reverse at all. But it did before I put the clutch with no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also noticed my new LUK clutch took a lot less pressure on the pedal than the original, but after driving it for a day or two it seemed normal. It works very smooth. I think it's just getting use to a different feel.
What's the number on the clutch you bought ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The pressure-plate will require the same actuation effort from one compression to the next. However, if you have air in the system or a slave or master that are bypassing fluid beyond the seals you can have extreme variance relative to pedal feel and effort. You can certainly try flushing and refilling the hydraulic system but chunks of debris in the reservoir isn't a good sign and you may need to replace the Master and/or Slave.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weird thing is other then the clutch being worn out everything worked fine. Now not at all and I did not open up the hydraulics at all

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep in mind that with usage, heat, and time the original clutch diaphragm fingers will weaken meaning that the hydraulics have to be able to exert less effort on a used clutch than a new clutch. The same can be said for the hydraulic system. With this in mind, and with a new clutch installed, you may be seeing this weakening of the hydraulic system become more evident. It happens...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts