Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I drove my jeep on Sunday... no issues with the clutch. Parked it in the driveway, got in it this morning... the clutch pedal has absolutely no tension.. goes straight to the floor!

The only thing that has changed in the past 3 days is the weather. We went from 70's on Sunday to a balmy 30 today. Would the cold weather cause this?

Is this a hydraulic issue? I don't know enough about clutches to know.

Any help would be great..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Best quick guess would be slave cylinder / throw out bering ( depending on how you refer to it). went through quite a few on my old 87.... if the clutch resv. is empty and you have a oil stain on the driveway under the bell housing it would be the sign

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay,
Clutch resv. is full. No leaks... no fluid on driveway. Checked all the lines... they look fine.

What's next?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have u done any work to the clutching system? Check your clutch pedal linkage, also a well placed air bubble can cause that

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Check if you have clutch fluid running down your firewall behind your pedals. Had an hole in a line once and system filled with air but reservoir was full. If that don't work try a blue pill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No work on clutch, Linkage looks good... spring is good on pedal. No fluid running down firewall...

Master cylinder?

·
Registered
356 Posts
This may sound odd but, where is the Jeep located? Is it in a safe spot to try and start up? I wonder if the last time you pressed the clutch pedal in to disengage the clutch, did it stay disengaged? If so, the Jeep should start.

Try it. But make sure your foot is placed over the dead pedal in case it springs back.

In the Corvette community, its called the clutch dead pedal. I will have to research the solutions.

Ok.... I'm back....

You may have a defective clutch slave cylinder.

But before you think that, try and push the pedal down hard to try and "unstick it". If that works, remove clutch fluid reservoir cao and pump the clutch pedal repeatedly while a friend watches fir air bubbles.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok....you may have a bad clutch slave cylinder.

But before you think that, try and eliminate all other possibilities. Have you verified clutch fluid level? No water in the clutch fluid? No air? Press the pedal down a few times, but aggressively. Anything? Did it spring back? If you get the tension back, have a friend remove clutch fluid reservoir cap. Then pump the clutch pedal whilr friends watches closely for air bubbles. Keep pumping until all air bubbles stop, but watch fluid level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts