Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Hoping to resolve a problem with my 2004 TJ.

Recently it would only start if I pushed in the clutch then backed off about a quarter inch.

Whatever part was causing that issue finally failed last night and it wouldn't start at all.

A Jeep friend came to my rescue and was able to manually move the parts from the pedal to the firewall while I turned the key to find that spot where it would start.

Today I need to determine what part causes this issue so I can get it fixed asap.

Any help much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Sounds like your clutch safety switch. You can fix/replace or just put a 20a in the number 20 slot (I think) & it'll bypass it altogether. No need to push the clutch in afterwards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was just reading about that bypass fuse...That may be the quick fix for now so I can still make my Big Bend trip in a couple days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke with the guy that sold me the Jeep on Saturday, he said to remove fuse #4 and it will bypass the clutch over ride switch and it will start. This is the same guy that told me the clutch just has a sweet spot to get it started, lol. But I'm going to give it a try!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It is fuse 20. Pulling fuse 4 is to defeat (turn off) the courtesy lights when the doors are removed.

Go to jeep.com & under the "owners" tab find the manuals section & download a free pdf copy of the owner's manual (only for 2004-2006). It & other good things are covered in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, its the other way around. If you look at the fuses behind your glove box, you'll see that fuse 20 will be empty. To bypass the clutch switch, you need to insert a 20 amp fuse into #20.
We just did our 2004 TJ
Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts