Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replaced my slave and master cylinder 6-8 months ago, clutch is relatively new miles wise. i don't drive my jeep a ton(once or twice a month maybe)everything worked great for awhile, then the pedal started squeaking, and sometimes it seemed like the pedal almost got stuck(kinda notchy). a few weeks ago it got to the point where it wouldn't engage at all with the pedal all the way up.fluid looked a little low so i replaced the cylinder with a "better" one from the store and it seems to be doing the same thing..any ideas? thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
What year is your YJ?
1987-1993 use an internal slave cylinder and 1994-1995 use an external slave cylinder.
Which cylinder did you replace? It sounds like you might have replaced the master cylinder, but it's not clear.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year is your YJ?
1987-1993 use an internal slave cylinder and 1994-1995 use an external slave cylinder.
Which cylinder did you replace? It sounds like you might have replaced the master cylinder, but it's not clear.

Good Luck, L.M.
Sorry I meant to end the post with the specs..it’s a 90 4.2, so it’s an internal cylinder, I’ve replaced both the master and slave cylinders as well as the hose that goes between them

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
Aftermarket slave cylinders are known to suffer from premature failure, and even to fail very soon after installation.
New OEM slave cylinders are no longer available. A person might find a NOS (New, Old Stock) slave cylinder online, but be prepared to pay an extreme premium price.

The known to be reliable solution is an external slave conversion. Google Advanced Adapters. That's a one and done solution.

A less reliable solution is buying a guaranteed slave cylinder from a reliable source. Even if they replace a failed slave cylinder for free, you still have to pull the transmission.
I wouldn't buy a slave cylinder from an unknown source.

What brand slave cylinder did you use?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Aftermarket slave cylinders are known to suffer from premature failure, and even to fail very soon after installation.
New OEM slave cylinders are no longer available. A person might find a NOS (New, Old Stock) slave cylinder online, but be prepared to pay an extreme premium price.

The known to be reliable solution is an external slave conversion. Google Advanced Adapters. That's a one and done solution.

A less reliable solution is buying a guaranteed slave cylinder from a reliable source. Even if they replace a failed slave cylinder for free, you still have to pull the transmission.
I wouldn't buy a slave cylinder from an unknown source.

What brand slave cylinder did you use?

Good Luck, L.M.
From everything I've learned LuK or Sachs is OEM Depending on availability and year model. Sachs clutch salve and masters are very difficult to find. Not sure but Sachs may have discontinued those parts. SO that makes LuK the best choice that is readily available. Odgreenyj next time you pull the trans go ahead and do the external slave mod. Very easy to do with the LuK part #CRS032.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I’m wishing I did the external mod while I had it all completely apart a year ago! So is the popular opinion that the slave is bad Again?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,963 Posts
i replaced my slave and master cylinder 6-8 months ago, clutch is relatively new miles wise. i don't drive my jeep a ton(once or twice a month maybe)everything worked great for awhile, then the pedal started squeaking, and sometimes it seemed like the pedal almost got stuck(kinda notchy). a few weeks ago it got to the point where it wouldn't engage at all with the pedal all the way up.fluid looked a little low so i replaced the cylinder with a "better" one from the store and it seems to be doing the same thing..any ideas? thanks in advance
Depending on where you bought the new Master it could be bad out of the box, with a warranty I would try to swap it out under warranty one more time while you are researching the necessary parts for the external slave swap. Cost would only be the fluid.

Then if it shows no improvement, go for the external swap...

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
It could be anything. Since you have to pull the transmission, you can check for things like the clutch disc loosing it's surface material or the pressure plate fingers wearing through. Both of which are extremely uncommon.
The most likely culprit is the throwout bearing/slave cylinder assembly, but I'd check everything. Even the pilot bearing. If you didn't change it the last time you were in there, I suggest you do so this time.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced the old leaking clutch slave/master cylinder on my 94 YJ. After filling, pushed pedal down one time, had some pressure but on 2nd push, the pedal went hard to the floorboard! Lots of fluid on the ground. Pulled new unit back off, fished the plunger & piston out of the case & found the seal at rear of plunger missing!! On further inspection it appears the release lever no has shifted and has NO tension on it. Advice? Thanks all

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
I replaced the old leaking clutch slave/master cylinder on my 94 YJ. After filling, pushed pedal down one time, had some pressure but on 2nd push, the pedal went hard to the floorboard! Lots of fluid on the ground. Pulled new unit back off, fished the plunger & piston out of the case & found the seal at rear of plunger missing!! On further inspection it appears the release lever no has shifted and has NO tension on it. Advice? Thanks all
I advise buy a LUK CRS032 Pre-filled and Pre-bled master/slave assembly.
Alternative is AMS AUTOMOTIVE PS0115 Pre-Bled clutch system.

Both available at Rock Auto $109.00 each.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue with mine...Turned out to be the brass bushing in the center of the flywheel. Not the slave cylinder at all! a 12.00 part..... But a mother to have to replace!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts