Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 2014 sport 6 speed ive had it for over a year now and i have a weird issue. i feel like for exmaple if im in a drive through and i have to inch up a few feet that is very hard to do so smoothly .ive read this before on other forums. yes i know this a very weird thing to be posting lol oes any one else have this similar isssue?

for that matter ill just add this i have no issue driving my car at all when it comes to switching gears but i will say i do find first gear a pain in the ass to be consistant every single time. lol it sure isnt like my last car where you couldnt even tell i was driving a manual. amy one else have any good tips and trick for first gear in a jk wrangler??

just to note mine is completely stock

i hope to get some good responses, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Buy an auto.

Sorry, every truck manual I have ever driven was like driving a tractor.
I've given up on trying to 'enjoy' a truck with a manual tranny, just can't bring myself to ever buy another manual again. Guess I am old and tired of trying to make a crappy truck tranny drive better that has repeated TOB issues and noises/smoothness.

Why cant any mfg make a modern, smooth, noiseless manual tranny?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Im guessing it's the hill start assist that's messing with you, I also find it annoying on road but I actually like it off road in crawling situations as it prevents roll back and keeps you from having to ride the clutch so much.
Try turning it off and see if that helps.

I have no complaints about my 6sp... then again I was never expecting a bmw transmission in my jeep. It's crude and simple, just the way I like my jeep

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im pretty sure it is off. i did the whole thing where you turn the wheel and push the button 4 times. but when i did it the light only flashed 5 times not seven like all the forums say. ive tried it a million times and im not 100 percent its off :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
im pretty sure it is off. i did the whole thing where you turn the wheel and push the button 4 times. but when i did it the light only flashed 5 times not seven like all the forums say. ive tried it a million times and im not 100 percent its off :(
find a decent hill. Stop on said hill. Push in clutch. If you roll backward immediately it's off. If it holds you there for a few seconds and then you roll back its on. Easy enough to test.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i wouldnt suggest it to be the hill assist. it seems like hes just having issues getting the jeep to roll smoothly in first gear. something i am sorta having issues with, after 35k with this jeep. i feel like the clutch needs to be let go of SUPER slow in order to get a smooth ride, and even then, like the original post, is very inconsistent. but that could also be because of the way we drive....

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You need to bring the rpm's up more when you're first starting to move in 1st. If you don't you'll experience what you mentioned.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You need to bring the rpm's up more when you're first starting to move in 1st. If you don't you'll experience what you mentioned.
Weird, to be smooth, I'm doing the opposite, I don't touch the gas, the computer is applying it itself for a faction of a second.

So in a drive through or stop-and-go traffic, if i have to inch up a few feet, I don't even touch the gas pedal.

At a complete stop, like waiting at the light, when I go, I do the same, when the computer is applying the gas, this is when I step on the pedal. It's always smooth. and it doesn't lug.

I do the same when I reverse, and I almost doesn't slip the clutch.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Weird, to be smooth, I'm doing the opposite, I don't touch the gas, the computer is applying it itself for a faction of a second.

So in a drive through or stop-and-go traffic, if i have to inch up a few feet, I don't even touch the gas pedal.

At a complete stop, like waiting at the light, when I go, I do the same, when the computer is applying the gas, this is when I step on the pedal. It's always smooth. and it doesn't lug.

I do the same when I reverse, and I almost doesn't slip the clutch.
If you're starting off normally with a JK manual, since the clutch catches approx. 75% from the floor bringing the rpm's up enables a smoother transition. If your method of driving works for you then stay with it. I wouldn't be able to drive a JK manual that way. I have done that in brief stop and go traffic moving a few feet, but I usually wait until I can move up at least 10-15 feet before driving it normally. Everyone has their own method that works, but bringing up the rpm's usually takes care of most problems with moving forward from first when there will be a shift change into second, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts