Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a '94 6cyl a couple of weeks ago, I am eager to learn and do many things myself, depending on the severity and urgentness of the repair.

Currently the top thing on my radar is the clutch. Again, this is my first YJ, so please school me on things that are 'normal' for this beast etc.

1st can be hard to get into (hard as in 2-3 tries, not hard as in actually difficult)

Squealing from passenger side when clutch pedal is pressed in. Google and forum search -FU says Throwout bearing, so I am tempted to just get the whole clutch replaced as it is new to me and might as well just start fresh from here.

There is no slipping in any gear, apart from 1st being harder than the other gears to get into, and the squealing, I would say the clutch is functioning perfectly. If the throwout bearing is going, should there be other symptoms or is that tell-tale squeal it? Does the squeal speak to anything else possibly?

Got a quote from a shop to replace clutch and resurface flywheel for $1650 in CO area. Seems high to me, but I am Jon Snow, knower of nothing.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
First, I'd bleed the clutch. Your '94 should have an external slave cylinder. That's a good thing, compared to the earlier internal slave cylinders.
If you bleed the clutch and still have the squeal, then get a couple opinions from different shops or a knowledgeable neighbor or friend.
It's reasonable to suspect the throwout bearing, but it's best to get a second professional opinion.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, maybe it isn't the TOB...idk. The squeal is loudest when the clutch pedal is pressed in, but I can faintly here it with the clutch pedal out, in neutral or in gear.

With the clutch pedal pressed in, and revving the engine, the squeal noise revs as well (only way I can think to describe it).

No sound from the front, open hood staring at serpentine belt, cuz it sounds like a belt squeal to me.

Shop appointment isn't for 3 weeks, so just wondering if I am looking at something catastrophic waiting that long, or if I should just grease up some things this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts