Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 wrangler 4.2l 5spd peugot (i know i know, dump the pukego and put in an ax, its not really an option, financially, at this point and the jeep doesn't get beat on). a couple months ago the internal throwout blew the seal and puked out all the fluid. seeing all the work involved to get to the throwout we decided to replace the clutch as well. everything came apart, clutch kit from quadratech (ams 01-035) went in. replaced the hyd line between the master cylinder and the throwout with a new one from mopar. figured if all that's been replaced might as well do the master cylinder too and call it done. new master cylinder from napa bolted up, bled, bled and re-bled the system and now the clutch doesn't pickup till 1" from the firewall. bled, bled and bled some more with the same result. tried gravity bleeding, a brake bleeding tool hooked to the bleeder underneath and the old fashioned pedal pump. when all this didn't work i swapped the old master cylinder back in, followed the bleed procedure again, same result. no clutch till just before hitting the firewall. am i missing something here? anybody had this issue before?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
When you installed the slave cylinder you should have had two O-rings the pipe and and a clip to install. If they are not properly sealed it will act just as you describe. Or you still have air in the system. Does it get better by pumping it a few times and then using the clutch?? Check it out and see what you find. How about the bench bleed on the master when you installed it??? Could be an issue

Check this video out

Video: How to Bench Bleed a Master Cylinder | eHow.com

See how this all works and let us know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts