Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fear The Post Count
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after getting has the Jeep wouldn't start. All electrical was fine it just wouldn’t turn over. Figured it was clutch safety switch, but it wouldn’t start in low range, so I assume that’s not it. Tried switching fusses with the one next to the starter one but again no luck. Finally push started it to get home. I guess starter is bad, but there were no signs leading up to it? I’ll crawl under and try to jump the starter to see if it will turn over later, just wondering if I missed something else? 2012 with a manual, 85K miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have someone hit the started with a rubber mallet while you try to start the Jeep.
Sometimes that will get a failed starter to turn over.
I would replace the starter if you measure voltage to the starter solenoid..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I once had one of the armature coils in my starter go bad on my TJ. If the starter was in the proper position, the other two coils of the armature could push the bad one across the magnets and she would start. If it settled in the wrong position, nothing. The bendix on the starter on the current JK started making a weird noise like it wasn't disengaging from the flywheel. You can get a new one from Amazon for less than $70. Always like how fast a new starter can turn an engine over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts