Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 JK 6M, 34,000 miles. Never had any clutch or transmission issues before.

Last week (8 days ago) I was doing some PM and checked my fluids, prepared to add some trans fluid if needed. I pulled the fill plug and some immediately came out, and it looked like honey, very clear. I put the plug back in and torqued it down, all is well. Drove probably 50 miles total since then, on 4 occasions. No issues.

Today I got in it (hadn't driven in 2 days) and pushed the clutch in while moving the shifter from reverse to 1st. Pedal felt strange -- felt like it was shorter throw, maybe lighter pressure. Couldn't get lever into 1st, really had to wrestle with it. I drove about 2 miles round trip; it REALLY fought going into reverse, would usually take several tries. Made it home and parked.

What should I be looking for? Everything I find on YouTube is TJ or older so thought I'd come here first.

Master cylinder? Slave cylinder? Throwout bearing?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Most likely the slave. BUT.... Hydraulic stuff should always be done in pairs. So MC and slave cyl. Pop the cap off the MC chances are its low or empty and theres your answer.

TJ or JK same stuff applies.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Slave cylinder. Plastic POS. Check for brake fluid leaking at the front of the bellhousing (rear of the engine)
Also check your brake fluid level, if the slave cylinder leaks it'll be low.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll check them tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Pop the cap off the MC chances are its low or empty and theres your answer.

There is no cap, it uses the brake fluid reservoir. Unless the Mopar booster m/c upgrade was installed.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My clutch made it farther down the road than yours but mine is a 2015. Mine died right after the second TOB replacement (within weeks of each other).
Had to replace both the master and slave.

And guess what I can hear the TOB lightly chattering again.....

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what (if anything) am I looking for here, boys? No visible leakage from either master or slave. Everything looks normal. Should I be seeing fluid somewhere? Brake fluid reservoir is completely full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts