Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 wrangler x 4.0 manual trans. (I know my username says 98. I upgraded) but When I first got it. There was a whining noise from the tranny that would go away when the clutch was pushed in, I brought it to the shop and they replaced the clutch, pilot bearing and throwout bearing, also the clutch bearing. They put it back together and the noise was still there. They are now going to try an input shaft. Any ideas??

·
Registered
672 Posts
The NV3550 tranny in the Jeep is fairly noisy. Is it very loud. Try replacing the fluid before replacing the input shaft bearing.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If the shop replaced the clutch when the noise disappeared when the clutch was disengaged, they blew the diagnosis. That would have been the biggest clue that it wasn't the clutch.

If it makes the noise in all gears including neutral until the clutch is pressed in (disengaged), then goes away, it's most likely the input shaft bearing. If it does it in all gears, but not in neutral, chances are it's just another noisy NV3550.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same exactly issue! Mine isn't a whine though, it's like a loud rattle. I'd post a video but you can't on here

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I'm having the same exactly issue! Mine isn't a whine though, it's like a loud rattle. I'd post a video but you can't on here
If the rattle goes away when you just barely step on the clutch pedal, it's most likely a broken clutch return spring allowing the clutch release arm to rattle against the pivot ball. If that is the case, it's not a big deal..just annoying. The only way to fix it is to pull the transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts