Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 TJ (2.5/5 spd) with 189K miles has developed what sounds like a bearing noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out. With the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. Remove pressure on the clutch pedal and it comes right back. This behavior is the reverse of throw out bearing noise that I have known on other vehicles but I am not familiar with the TJ drivetrain. The noise seems to stop when the clutch friction disc and transmission input shaft stop turning.

I read several other threads regarding clutch / transmission noise and some people seem to think this type of noise is normal for a high mileage transmission. To me it seems a louder than it should be (certainly louder than it used to be!) and my so my question is, do you TJ gurus think this noise is excessive and is it coming from throwout bearing or the transmission input shaft bearing or somewhere else that I haven't even thought of?

Video is here:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Typically the description you are giving would lead me to the input shaft bearing. Went thru this on my wife's Compass twice. I told her what I thought it was and she took it in for extended warranty repair and that was it.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
A whirling sound when sitting still with the transmission in Neutral with the clutch pedal released is the normal sound of the input shaft & its bearings being spun by the engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission is on the garage floor. The throwout bearing quite literally disintegrated - balls everywhere. That was certainly part if not all of the noise I was hearing.

What is the acceptable transmission input shaft side-to-side runout at the pilot bearing end?
Remember this is a Jeep with 189K miles and it's being demoted from daily driver to recreational vehicle so I really don't want to replace this transmission unless it's absolutely necessary. Thought?

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
512 Posts
It looks like a lot to me. Seems like a pita to put it all back together and have it take a crap in 6 months or a year. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
The video you posted originally doesn’t seem to be working anymore.
I have a similar thing going on. Rattling sound when clutch is out and in neutral. Push down the clutch and its quiet. It also rattles when you shut off the engine. I too was under the impression that it was normal, and just the shaft spinning from other threads I’ve read. But maybe it’s not and you’re on to something we should all be checking? It shifts pretty clean, and there aren’t any other noises that I can tell besides the rattling or “rocks in a can” sound. So what in gettin at is..

Did you have any other symptoms than the noise before you dropped the transmission and saw the damage?

Perhaps a transmission fluid change would have shown all that metal dust before tearing the transmission out giving you the big heads up?

I’m just trying to poke around and not go crazy over my jeeps noises given the work you put in investigating this and sharing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts