Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and having some problems with my TJ. I took it to a weekend mud run these last few days and it went good for awhile. I was in some pretty deep stuff and was burning the clutch quite a bit. It just had a brand new clutch put in about a week ago. After about 5 hours of driving it and several times mudding it, smoke started pouring out from around the transmission. It stopped and I drove it for about 5 minutes and then couldn't get it to grab any gears. With or without the clutch in it goes into gear. You can hear it sound like it's going into gear but there's nothing there. The clutch feels good and has fluid. There is burnt fibers coming out of the slot near the front of my transmission. I had numerous people look at it (without tearing anything apart) and no one has any idea. Any help would be appreciated! I'll leave some details on the jeep below..

Specs:
4 cylinder
1 week old clutch
All fluids seem to be full

I am very far from being considered a mechanic so please bare with me being fairly new at all of this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response jherrington. It just seemed weird that I can put it in gear without using the clutch but nothing happens. I guess I'm just trying to be re assured that it's not my tranny ! Anyway, thanks again. I'm going to have my mechanic look at it soon

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Ya especially if you pushed the pedal in deep stuff. Those slots let in water and mud. Shift in it you let between the disk and plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clutches do take some time to seat properly, usually about 500 miles or so. Until they get run in completely, you shouldn't do anything over-the-top with them. And depending on the brand of clutch, some companies use inferior materials in the clutch disc. If you installed an "economy" clutch, didn't wait for proper drive-in, have oversized tires trying to be pushed through thick mud by an underpowered 2.5, I am most positive you broke the friction material off of the clutch disc.

You can put it into gear without the clutch being pressed in because there is no friction material to be grabbed by the clutch pressure plate at all.

Sorry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Me thinks majnoon knows what's up. Never ever... Ever shift while submerged unless you can without a clutch EVER being touched. But here-say is centerforce makes a nice clutch for water shifting. Still wouldn't save it from 5 gallons of mud sucked into the bellhousing though.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Agree with the others if you can shift it into gear with the engine running, you either broke the input shaft on the transmission, (which is unlikely and would make some serious noise) or more likely, have a disconnect (burnt up) at the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts