Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm having a wrap made for a trailer and I'm going to tie it in with the Jeep. Does anyone have the CMYK print color match for hyper green?

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
So, I'm having a wrap made for a trailer and I'm going to tie it in with the Jeep. Does anyone have the CMYK print color match for hyper green?
Does the printing company have the ability to scan the surface of your Jeep and convert to CMYK? Otherwise you may need to match your Jeep to a PMS swatch and convert to CMYK from that..

Keep in mind the substrate and digital printer/software that's used will effect the hue...

Try to match your Jeep color to a PMS color using this... the CMYK equivalent is listed. If you want an exact match, I would place the burden on the printer to make that happen.

ttps://www.pantone.com/color-finder-classic

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the printing company have the ability to scan the surface of your Jeep and convert to CMYK? Otherwise you may need to match your Jeep to a PMS swatch and convert to CMYK from that..

Keep in mind the substrate and digital printer/software that's used will effect the hue...

Try to match your Jeep color to a PMS color using this... the CMYK equivalent is listed. If you want an exact match, I would place the burden on the printer to make that happen.

ttps://www.pantone.com/color-finder-classic

The Jeep is too far from the manufacturer to scan it. I could get it scanned here if I knew what to scan it with. I'm surprised there's no app to do this with an iphone. Where can I get PMS swatches?

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
The Jeep is too far from the manufacturer to scan it. I could get it scanned here if I knew what to scan it with. I'm surprised there's no app to do this with an iphone. Where can I get PMS swatches?
The problem is your Jeep is covered with paint (opaque film) and the wide format digital printing device will be Ink Jet (transparent inks) using CMYK. You're reproducing color using dots that are overlapped in a certain pattern to make up the color spectrum. Also need to realize a PMS book is a reference to manufacture and mix printers inks using Pantone colors.. so it won't reflect the exact color of an Ink Jet printing process.

Keep in mind if you try to match using PMS online or phone app, you're looking at the colors using RGB (computer monitor) and that has its own conversion to CMYK when imaging to a digital device. Need to get as close to the original color using a swatch. Bright fluorescent colors are hard to reproduce using CMYK. That's why some printing processes use up to 7 colors to reproduce a broader color spectrum using a stochastic pattern.

I'm not in the thick of the printing profession anymore.. I do have a PMS book, but I don't have a green Jeep to match a PMS swatch.

Xrite owns Pantone Matching System (PMS) now.. my parent company bought Xrite several years ago. A spectrophotometer is typically used to measure color -- but again, you're trying to reproduce automotive paint.

https://www.xrite.com/

Do you have a commercial printing company in your town? One that has offset lithography and digital printers? I guarantee they will have a PMS book... perhaps you can ask them if you can use it to find a PMS color close to your Jeep.

Whatever you do, I would ask for a "press proof" before they print... doesn't have to be the entire graphic -- just samples of what the output will look like using their printer.

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
My wife ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/Shades-Color...s=cmyk+printed+swatches&qid=1569294121&sr=8-3

and is going to try to match the Jeep with the CMYK swatches.
OK... that will get you in the ballpark, but it won't be an exact match. Not sure why you're giving the printer the CMYK values. You should be giving them a paint chip of the color you want matched. The graphic file they will send to the wide format printer will need to be color corrected to match the desired output.

I would instruct the printer to send you a press proof. If they don't know what that is, then I would tell them you want an actual printed sample from the same printer they are using to produce your wrap -- using the same graphic file you approved.

What matters is the color output on the substrate from the device you're printing the graphic on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK... that will get you in the ballpark, but it won't be an exact match. Not sure why you're giving the printer the CMYK values. You should be giving them a paint chip of the color you want matched. The graphic file they will send to the wide format printer will need to be color corrected to match the desired output.

I would instruct the printer to send you a press proof. If they don't know what that is, then I would tell them you want an actual printed sample from the same printer they are using to produce your wrap -- using the same graphic file you approved.

What matters is the color output on the substrate from the device you're printing the graphic on.

That's a good point... I'll send them this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts