Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I originally posted this under the tech forum, so to correct myself here it is again, this time in the right section.

Were going to be heading out with a few buddies and I wanted to have a CB Radio handy since everyone else in our group has one. I ended up purchasing the Cobra 19DX CB Kit from 4wheelparts.

Here is a list of things I purchased for the install:

1. Cobra 19DX CB Kit - http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior...px?t_c=9&t_s=500&t_pt=9611&t_pn=KITCOB19DXIVK
2. 16 Gauge Wire (red+black) to match radio wiring
3. Mini Add-a-Circuit from O'Reilly Auto Parts
4. 3-Way Mobile CB Antenna Mount - http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior...nt.aspx?t_c=9&t_s=500&t_pt=8373&t_pn=DASK-64A

I ran are coaxial cable under the passenger side panel carpet all the way behind the speaker unit in the back. Ran the wire adjacent to the tailgate power cables and under the molding to exit on the outside of the tailgate.

The power cables I ran again under the carpet and up to the side panel, through the foam opening and into the engine compartment. I used a fuse tapper to supply the power from the fusebox, which made for a very clean install. The ground wire I connected to one of the bolts in the side panel.

I'm posting bunch of pictures to help you guys out, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how I could have made the install better. Cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Does the CB turn on and off with jeep?

I originally was going to wire mine same as you but then I decided to tap into the keyed 12v aux jack on the front dash. So far it seems to work really well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you use a ground for your antenna? And did you mount it to a spring or right to the plate?
Im new to this stuff so it could be my mistake... I have not grounded the antenna, i can run a wire down from the mounting bracket through the tailgate opening and ground it somewhere inside the tailgate? Is this necessary?

I mounted directly to the plate, drilled two holes and just attached it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the CB turn on and off with jeep?

I originally was going to wire mine same as you but then I decided to tap into the keyed 12v aux jack on the front dash. So far it seems to work really well.
Since i ran it to the fuse box, i found a slot that only works when the key is on. So the CB doesnt stay on when the cars off. This way i didnt have to open the center panel to get to the 12v jack. I havnt used it yet, saturday we are heading out so well see how it works. Ndig29 asked if i had grounded my antenna, but i hadnt. did you?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Im new to this stuff so it could be my mistake... I have not grounded the antenna, i can run a wire down from the mounting bracket through the tailgate opening and ground it somewhere inside the tailgate? Is this necessary?

I mounted directly to the plate, drilled two holes and just attached it.
Technically it needs to be grounded to function "properly". The Jeep swing- out tail gate is not grounded to the metal frame and you mounted the antenna to the spare tire carrier which is plastic.

You want to go past the tail-gate and inside the jeep. You can mount the wire to the roll bar, sub woofer screws or inside the "cubby" which holds the jack, etc..

The easiest way to find out where to correctly mount it is to use a voltmeter and purchase a SWR meter to make sure the cb/antenna is "tuned" properly.

Technically if you don't do any of this your cb will "work" , but it "might" blow up and internet cats might die :) LOL

·
Registered
484 Posts
I havent installed mine yet, waiting on a spring to come in.. Need to find a place to ground it, was wondering if you found one.. The cubby sounds like a good idea

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Grounding an transmitting antenna has nothing to do with running a wire to a metal surface. You aren't closing an electrical circuit or preventing a ground fault.

Correctly called 'ground plane' in communications, it refers to a relatively flat metal surface that can help promulgate the transmitted electromagnetic wave form from the transmitting antenna. The amount of ground plane needed varies on the wavelength of the signal. At roughly 11 meters, a ground plane for a CB should ideally be significant and could be determined with some math [i don't have the time right now].

If you look at a base station CB antenna, you usually see antenna elements running parallel to the Earth's surface. This is the 'ground plane'. A vehicle doesn't typically use these elements, instead it uses the metal trunk lid, the roof, or some other metal radiating surface to achieve the same effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts