Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't used a CB radio since the80's, or was it the 70's, anyway here are the questions:

I like the form factor of these two radios, small, easily removed, hidden, full featured. Priced about the same.

Are these CB's going to provide good performance?
Which CB would be the better choice?

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara and like the tail gate mount antenna from an appearance standpoint.

Is this a good mounting location?
What antenna would be a good choice?
Are antenna quick disconnects a good or bad idea?

It's been a long time since I thought about Cb radios, thanks for your input
:wavey:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hello

A member recently wrote a thread that may be informative to you. Im on my tablet, so I cant link it, but its called "Basic cb radio buyers guide", scroll down in this forum or search the name.

Tailgate is OK, so long as it is high enough. Higher is better, ideally 60% above the roof, but thats not really good offroading.

A 108" antenna gives best performance, but whips people.
A small window antenna gives the most subtle appearance, and horrid performance.
A 3 or 4 foot Firestik or Wilson Flex seem to be the top choices for Jeepers.

Quick discos are great, if you want to frequently attach/detach/switch antennas. Otherwise it will likely give you a lil trouble tuning it, but nothing too bad.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlueRidgeYJ said:
Hello

A member recently wrote a thread that may be informative to you. Im on my tablet, so I cant link it, but its called "Basic cb radio buyers guide", scroll down in this forum or search the name.

Tailgate is OK, so long as it is high enough. Higher is better, ideally 60% above the roof, but thats not really good offroading.

A 108" antenna gives best performance, but whips people.
A small window antenna gives the most subtle appearance, and horrid performance.
A 3 or 4 foot Firestik or Wilson Flex seem to be the top choices for Jeepers.

Quick discos are great, if you want to frequently attach/detach/switch antennas. Otherwise it will likely give you a lil trouble tuning it, but nothing too bad.
Thanks, read the link. I hope people with each radio will comment on their likes & dislikes.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I know theres a few in jeeps on here, so hopefully they will. I havent used either, so I cant give ya a comparison of em. Sorry. But for trail rides I understand both fit the bill nicely, and the most important factor is a quality antenna well tuned.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a toss up for me at the moment, that's why I want to hear other opinions. Regarding the behind the spare antenna mount, I was read in another forum that this is the worst possible location for antenna efficiency. I don't like the underhood/cowl mount from an appearance standspoint, what other locations are people using on Jk's?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Mechanically speaking the only good spot for an antenna on a Jeep is the hood, followed by the front bumper. It has to do with ground plane and SWR tuning, so yea, that spot isnt so good. But being next to the tailgate or lower on the body is worse. Still, talking CB, youre not getting 5+ miles no matter what you do, so we compromise. If you can get it as high as possible and tuned under 2 youre doing OK.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know of any purchasable antenna mounts that mount on the CHMSL stalk? This would be as high a mount as possible. If not I'm looking at the mount between the spare tire and tail gate. Would a 2 - 3 mile range be possible from that location with a 4' Wilson antenna?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not sure why mounting by the tailgate is bad. Think about it - if you get one of the taillight mounts, there's not enough metal above the tub to interfere with an antenna in any meaningful way, unless you have some kind of magical steel hard top - for grounding, either add a ground strap or just ensure there's good bare metal contact all the way from the antenna to the bolts going into the tub like I did. Cobra 75 and a 3' Firestik on a Teraflex taillight mount works great for me.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I dont, but I would bolt a small plate to that riser and mount from it. Make sure to ground strap everything up to the frame. Power straight from the battery, even to an user installed 12v plug. Much cleaner than cig lighter or accy panel.

I would think you should get 4+ setup like that, especially if you could get it tuned well.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
commodore_dude said:
I'm not sure why mounting by the tailgate is bad. Think about it - if you get one of the taillight mounts, there's not enough metal above the tub to interfere with an antenna in any meaningful way, unless you have some kind of magical steel hard top - for grounding, either add a ground strap or just ensure there's good bare metal contact all the way from the antenna to the bolts going into the tub like I did. Cobra 75 and a 3' Firestik on a Teraflex taillight mount works great for me.
Not about good or bad - Its about what works best. If it works for you, glad to hear it.

A higher antenna will always give better range.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm leaning toward a Cobra 75wxst with a 3' Wilson flex antenna. I saw a mount by Arizona Rocky Road, that puts the mount just above the CHMSL, on the right side, but the price seems too high. I also want to have a quick disconnect for the antenna, but that needs more research.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After all the discussion, I decided on the Midland 75-822 with a Lil Wil antenna. They should arrive tomorrow, and I'm going out on Saturday with a group to Bundy Hill, a Local(?) ORV park for the day. Pictures and a review after I get back.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm leaning toward a Cobra 75wxst with a 3' Wilson flex antenna. I saw a mount by Arizona Rocky Road, that puts the mount just above the CHMSL, on the right side, but the price seems too high. I also want to have a quick disconnect for the antenna, but that needs more research.
I agree his prices seem pretty high - especially for shipping. But at least it is made in USA - and it is the highest mount available I have seen.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree his prices seem pretty high - especially for shipping. But at least it is made in USA - and it is the highest mount available I have seen.
I bought a Lil Wil magnet mount , so it's a moot point. I did go back to his site, and I misread his prices. The mount alone is about $28. I was looking at a combination of the mount, antenna and cable for $97, which I misread as the mount price. If the Lil Wil doesn't work to my satisfaction, or if I decide to go more permanent, I'll give him another look. The mount does get the antenna base up above the wheel and tailgate.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not an expert on this, but my read is that mounting the base of the antenna between the spare wheel and the tailgate(Terraflex or Quadratech mount) will cut off the ground plane(or something like that) and limit the antenna's range. There is a post in another, unnamed, forum with an extensive write up on this very subject.
:wavey:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I bought a Lil Wil magnet mount , so it's a moot point. I did go back to his site, and I misread his prices. The mount alone is about $28. I was looking at a combination of the mount, antenna and cable for $97, which I misread as the mount price. If the Lil Wil doesn't work to my satisfaction, or if I decide to go more permanent, I'll give him another look. The mount does get the antenna base up above the wheel and tailgate.
I just want the mount. With shipping its $37. You can find the other parts together much cheaper

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First report on the Midland 75-822 radio with a Little Wil magnet mount antenna:

The radio & antenna arrived on time from Amazon. The antenna was missing the set screw to tighten the mast to the base. Pressed for time went out and bought one,(10-24 Allen screw). The radio came with one of the battery packs installed on the radio. FYI there were no batteries in either battery pack, you have to provide them. The installed battery pack was stuck on the radio, it was a PITA to remove. Once removed, putting the battery packs or the car adapter on was easy. Next I calibrated the antenna. The best I could do was a reading of 2.1 on channel 1, 1.9 on channel 40. The best calibration of this antenna centered on an SWR reading of 2.0. There was no immediate radio traffic to listen to, so transmission and reception evaluations will have to wait until tommorrow.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Where is that lil guy mounted?

Its 2.1 on 1, 2.0 on 19, and 1.9 on 40?

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is that lil guy mounted?

Its 2.1 on 1, 2.0 on 19, and 1.9 on 40?
He's right in the middle of the hood. directly behind the hood tie down bracket.

Yes the middle channels are between the two. I could reverse the SWR readings, ie: 1.8 on 1; 2.2 on 40 by moving the antenna up or down. I checked channels 10, 20 & 30 after setting 1 & 40, they were always between the upper and lower channel, as I would expect. After more than an hour of putzing, I got tired of the process & quit with the SWR readings quoted.:angel:

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
The Midland 75-822 is my favorite trail CB that I've ever used. So versatile..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts