Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone, I just purchased a new White Sport JK, loving it so far.
I've had everything from Hondas and Nissans to BMW's and Benz's but this might be one of my favorites so far, and I think it'll be with me for a while.
Reminds me a lot of my old Pathfinder but I love the simplicity of this machine.
I mod my cars a lot and this Jeep will be no exception so stick around.

Here she is completely stock

Debadged the Sport and Wrangler stickers and front Jeep emblem for a clean look

[/url]

·
Registered
649 Posts
Let's see how this bad boy turns out! Mine started like that as well. And then my wallet forever hated me. Excited to see updates and watch it grow! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side steps came in today and couldn't wait to install them.
Chose to go with steps instead of rails because I don't anticipate doing a whole lot of rock crawling or extreme trails.
Most of the stuff around here includes sand dunes or beach driving so steps are all I'm looking for.
They really help you get up into the Jeep, especially into the back seat.
Overall pretty pleased with the product.

Red Rock 4x4 gloss black
It was packaged nicely except for the hardware which was all thrown into a bag.
It took a while to sort all the bolts and washers especially since nothing is labeled.
On top of that my ratchet broke, but it was a cheap harbor freight one that I've put through a lot of abuse.
You probably don't care about my ratchet so here are some pics.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be tackling the awful stock sound system this weekend and will have a full write up on Sunday.
Gear going in:
Pioneer single DIN head unit with PAC RP4 harness
10" Boston Acoustic G5 subwoofer
6.5" Cerwin Vega components up front
6.5" MB Quart coaxials in the roll bar
Sony mono amp
Sony 4 channel amp

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got all the audio gear in. The install took a while since this was a full tear down and replacement but the results are well worth it. System sounds absolutely amazing and a million times better than the base sound system. All my components in total cost less than the factory Alpine option too, and sounds way better. If anybody is thinking about modifying their sound system I recommend DIY. The satisfaction and results are well worth it. Didn't take any pictures throughout the process but here are the results.

Pioneer H/U has tons of adjustability and is very easy to use. Factory Uconnect was always having playback issues with my iPhone but the Pioneer hasn't had an issue yet. I recommend getting the PAC RP4 harness. It's completely plug and play and let me retain my steering wheel controls.

Routed the power wire through the opening in the passenger side fender.

Mounted the MB Quart 6.5" in the sport bar. I left the factory 2.5" connected. I unplugged it originally but it actually adds a bit of depth and clarity, complements the MB's well. Really sounds like a concert with this combo.

Here is the Cerwin Wega component mounted up front. For a budget component these sound really good. Bass is not very good but it is very warm sounding and fills in the vocals nicely. All my speakers are high passed anyways and my sub takes care of all the lows. Crossovers were shoved in the side and fit perfectly. New wiring was run for the components, I may clean it up a bit in the future but for now it sounds great.

Neither of my amps would fit under the seat so I had to keep them in the trunk. Lots of wires running back here.

Boston G5 sub. Pounds like crazy and has been bulletproof for the 6 years I've owned it.

Vacuumed the trunk and cleanly hid all wires underneath the carpet. Can still flip the seats for carrying cargo when needed.

Final touch was the MDF box I made to conceal the amps. Covered it in wood tile for a nice look and very easy to clean. I can throw all my junk on top of it without worrying about damaging my amps or snagging any wires. Adds a nice classy touch too. Sub is easily disconnected if I need to remove it in a pinch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea to have the box, but will the Amp heat up too much with it being covered?
Nope these amps are pretty good, always cool to the touch even when cranked for extended periods of time. Sony isn't the most audiophile brand out there but I've had pretty good luck with their amps. Never tried their speakers though. Also, there's about 1.5 inches of space between the box and amps so there is some airflow, it's not completely sealed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted some grab handles but didn't want to pay some ridiculous money for what is essentially a couple pieces of rope. I decided to order 100' of paracord on Amazon for $8 and make my own. I was a little worried about what the outcome would be but I'm pretty pleased with the results and they were really easy to make too. The cobra weave is easy to learn and makes a nice looking pattern.

I used the desert camo color.
4' looped over 4 times to make a foot long core
12-14' feet of cord to make the cobra weave portion, end up with about 1-2' of excess on each side
Use any kind of shackle you want. I used some white plastic chain links that cost me a couple cents per piece, matches my white Jeep and is lightweight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been a while since I last updated this thread but I've done quite a few mods lately. Finished installing the tweeters as part of the Cerwin Vega components. The CW's sounded ok when I had just the woofers in, but after putting in the tweeters the sound is completely transformed. I'm amazed at how big of a difference these little speakers make.

I also reupholstered my amp box with carpet since the wood tiles kept peeling. Much better now and blends in with the rest of the interior. I mounted my mini shovel and tree saver strap to the roll bars too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought Smittybilt front and rear SRC bumpers and a Superwinch Tiger Shark Winch.

The bumpers were a complete pain to put on. None of the holes lined up and all the factory hole mounts had to be drilled out more than was called for in the directions. All the holes in the rear bumper were off by 1/4". The hardware for the rear bumper was also missing, but a trip to home depot fixed that and I bought all new grade 8 nuts and bolts.

Overall not a fun experience to put on the Shittybilt bumpers but it was worth it in the end. They are some of the best looking on the market imo and have a pretty tough powder coat finish, too bad they are such a pain to put on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a shot of the rear. I also installed a new Flowmaster 80 series exhaust. The exhaust is the only thing I haven't DIY'ed, I don't own any welding tools so I decided to go to the shop for this one. Really happy with the outcome.

I wanted a quad setup and didn't want a dual setup which all of the bolt on cat and axle backs seem to be. Quad just looks better imo. Also I know what your thinking, that my tips will get banged up on the trail. Don't worry Cobra Jeep isn't a mall crawler, but it's not a rock crawler either. My Jeep is more than capable for the trails and beaches that I do go on. Until I get tires and a lift I know the limits of which trails I can ride on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What year model is your jeep? I have a 2015. And I want the same exact rear bumper. But on the smittybilt website it says it won't work with a 2015. But other websites says it does. I really don't like the look of the SRC 2.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What year model is your jeep? I have a 2015. And I want the same exact rear bumper. But on the smittybilt website it says it won't work with a 2015. But other websites says it does. I really don't like the look of the SRC 2.
Mine is also a 2015. It will fit but only if you get creative. I had to drill out some of the factory holes, which the instructions say to do, but it still wouldn't fit. All of the holes on the rear crossmember were offset by 1/4" and there's no wiggle room since it just barely fits around the frame rails. I ended up using bolts that were a little thinner than supplied but of a higher grade. The bolts that go on the side into the frame rails were missing so I had to get those from home depot. After a lot of swearing I finally got it on and its rock solid now.

Of course maybe I just got unlucky and my Jeep happened to be out of spec due to loose factory tolerances. If you like the looks of the bumper get it, and do what you have to do to make it work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks! That's what I figured. I had to be creative with the front bumper so it's something I'm already used to. Not too worried about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to do another DIY mod that adds a unique touch to the Cobra Cruiser. I bought a pack of RV/trailer LED marker lights and put them in the grille. I got the inspiration from the Ford Raptor. After seeing the 3 marker lights on that truck I thought it would look pretty cool on a Wrangler.

Here's a Raptor for reference.

Drilled out 5 holes in an aluminum plate and put the put the markers in.

Used some splicing connectors to tap into the factory side marker light.

Day shot

Some nights shots. Really bright. Pleased with these LEDs.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Love the LED in the grill, I wanted to do that with my old 2011 ram. But could never find exactly what I needed. Can you link the exact lights etc you used and mounted it? You just mounted them to aluminum then bolted it to the frame of the jeep? I'm goina copy you! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the LED in the grill, I wanted to do that with my old 2011 ram. But could never find exactly what I needed. Can you link the exact lights etc you used and mounted it? You just mounted them to aluminum then bolted it to the frame of the jeep? I'm goina copy you! :p
Amazon.com: 10 USA Made 3/4" Amber LED Clearance Marker Bullet Grommet Lights: Automotive

These are standard size 3/4" marker lights, you can find them in a lot of places. Just use any 3/4" drill to make a hole and they'll fit nice and snug. You can use any kind of plate, I just used a thin aluminum plate since it was easy to drill but still sturdy enough to not flex. I then wired them all in parallel and tapped the factory side marker light so they come on automatically when I turn my lights on. I'm glad you liked the mod.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Amazon.com: 10 USA Made 3/4" Amber LED Clearance Marker Bullet Grommet Lights: Automotive

These are standard size 3/4" marker lights, you can find them in a lot of places. Just use any 3/4" drill to make a hole and they'll fit nice and snug. You can use any kind of plate, I just used a thin aluminum plate since it was easy to drill but still sturdy enough to not flex. I then wired them all in parallel and tapped the factory side marker light so they come on automatically when I turn my lights on. I'm glad you liked the mod.
Thanks! Wasn't sure where to start, before I had tried explaining it to somehow that I wanted orange lights like the semis have.. ha. I hate wiring, that'll be the hardest part for me ha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts