Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we went wheeling yesterday for about 3 hours. Got stuck once in a soupy deep hole but got pulled out no biggy. We left the park and made it less than a quarter mile and check engine light comes on and she goes into limp mode. Soon it starts overheating as well. I baby it home stopping multiple times to cool down. At one point I also got a hot oil light. Got her home and cleaned it up as best I could with a garden hose. Pulled the thermostat because I figured that was why it was overheating. Filled it with water and she still heats up but takes a bit. Think that might be because no thermostat and no dex cool in it? Shes still in limp mode and code P1731 comes up. Tried resetting it multiple times and nothing works. I'm at a loss here and NEED her fixed. Any help?

2012 JKU auto, 37" tires, bully dog programmer.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
P1731-INCORRECT GEAR ENGAGED

looks like you should check your ABS and speed sensors and maybe the transmissions solenoid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How deep was it? You may have to flush the transmission if you got in water deep enough to get into the transmission fluid. Water mixing with the fluid gets all foamy and could be messing with the gears. You may want to check your diff fluid while you're at it too, but I doubt that would cause the CEL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: went out yesterday and realized the radiators were full of mud. Hosed them off for awhile and topped the radiator off with water. Drove 5-6 miles and although she heated up a bit more than normal it didn't overheat. Think it's getting hotter because it's straight water and no dex cool? Waiting on new thermostat to come in before I put in $45 in antifreeze.

Reset check engine light but it still came back on and was in limp mode. Won't shift past 2nd gear.

The water/mud was pretty deep. Almost up to the hood. I went straight in, down and realized how deep it was threw it in reverse and backed most the way out. I checked the trans fluid and it doesn't seem to be contaminated at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did spray the heck out of the rear where the speed sensors are. Might have to pull the wheels and check them. Not sure how to check the trans solenoid or where it's at? Been researching a lot and some people with this code say it was their valve body. $800 is a steep price to pay for a guess though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue please someone help, i went mudding yesterday and now my jeep is on limp mode with the check engine light code p1731, any help would be appreciated plz

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 wrangler sport unlimited ....found out its got limits ...i am also having the same problem ...wont shift past second gear .....or it stays stuck in 3rd ....will not shift manually either...please advise me how the issue can be corrected ..

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts
I have a 2015 wrangler sport unlimited ....found out its got limits ...i am also having the same problem ...wont shift past second gear .....or it stays stuck in 3rd ....will not shift manually either...please advise me how the issue can be corrected ..

·
Premium Member
658 Posts

Did you pull codes? Did you get the P1731?

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Ok guys, long shot but if you went muddling and then this code appeared it could be a speed sensor. The front sensor is sealed so that should not be the problems. The the rear sensor are not. Jack up the rear of the vehicle and remover the tire, remove the caliper and bracket and then the disk. If there is a whole lot of crap in there that is your problem. Remove the sensor and clean it off and get all the crap of the tone ring.

It is a long shot but it is free and it just might be the problem.

Reactions: JBirdman

·
Registered
10 Posts
What did your p1741 code end up coming from? We are having the same code after off-roading through some creeks. Replaced all four wheel speed sensors, cleaned my breather, checked all my grounds and connectors under the Jeep. Still, limp mode. Seems like it doesn’t find first or fifth gears, engine fan stays on and of course temp stays up because rpm are up.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
P1741 has more to do with the internal transmission speed sensors that wheel speed sensors. Given that the jeep was in water or mud, I'd check your transmission fluid. Does it look normal, is it filled to the right level?

The other thing I'd look at is the transmission harness connector to the transmission. See if there is any water or muck in that connection. Could cause shorting or incorrect signals (maybe?) of those speed sensors.

This code is there in order for the computer to check that the transmission is shifting like the computer is directing it to. It knows by looking at speed sensors in the transmission. There may be some checking on speed of vehicle through wheel speed sensors, but the main focus of this is internal to the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What did your p1731 code end up coming from? We are having the same code after off-roading through some creeks. Replaced all four wheel speed sensors, cleaned my breather, checked all my grounds and connectors under the Jeep. Still, limp mode. Seems like it doesn’t find first or fifth gears, engine fan stays on and of course temp stays up because rpm are up.
P1741 has more to do with the internal transmission speed sensors that wheel speed sensors. Given that the jeep was in water or mud, I'd check your transmission fluid. Does it look normal, is it filled to the right level?

The other thing I'd look at is the transmission harness connector to the transmission. See if there is any water or muck in that connection. Could cause shorting or incorrect signals (maybe?) of those speed sensors.

This code is there in order for the computer to check that the transmission is shifting like the computer is directing it to. It knows by looking at speed sensors in the transmission. There may be some checking on speed of vehicle through wheel speed sensors, but the main focus of this is internal to the transmission.
thank you. I meant to type P1731 but your explanation is fitting for that code so maybe you knew what I meant lol. We checked the fluid, grounds, and all connectors we could find. All was well. We replaced the wheel speed sensors, but the transmission speed sensors are internal. I broke down and dropped it off at the dealership for diagnostics this morning. They said it would be Monday before they could get to it. I will definitely be posting the outcome for other idiots that mud. Lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What did the issue turn out to be? I have the same problem after mud riding. P1731 gear not recognized. Dealership is trying to say I need a new transmission

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having the same problem...did we ever find a fix? Help please...ugh
What was your solution? ...Same problem with mine
thank you. I meant to type P1731 but your explanation is fitting for that code so maybe you knew what I meant lol. We checked the fluid, grounds, and all connectors we could find. All was well. We replaced the wheel speed sensors, but the transmission speed sensors are internal. I broke down and dropped it off at the dealership for diagnostics this morning. They said it would be Monday before they could get to it. I will definitely be posting the outcome for other idiots that mud. Lol.
Stealership simply said “A new transmission will fix it.” Well f yeah it would. But what is the problem? It’s not recognizing the gear.
I knew that when I took it in there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What was your solution? ...Same problem with mine

Stealership simply said “A new transmission will fix it.” Well f yeah it would. But what is the problem? It’s not recognizing the gear.
I knew that when I took it in there!
Having the same problem...did we ever find a fix? Help please...ugh
Have you found a solution?
We just replaced the transmission speed sensors and it’s still doing it.
before, we pressure washed everything really well, replaced all abs speed sensors, and changed the diff fluid. Next step will be the ecm/pcm.
Anyone have a solution to their p173 code yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts