Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all ODB2 Scanners pretty much the same for basic troubleshooting? I would like to get one but just not sure if there are any caveats based on price, or if they all pretty much do the same thing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some will simply read engine codes while others will read ABS and Airbag codes. The next important thing is that some will read live data while others won't. Highly recommend getting one that reads live data to aid in troubleshooting.
$100 or so will get you a good code reader that can read live data. Personally I like Acutron. If you have an Android phone there is a great app that I am unable to recall the name that connects to OBD by a Bluetooth dongle

The next step up would be a bi-directional scanner that can operate fans, turn pumps on etc but this gets you in the $2,000 scanner range. This is more for te professional

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some will simply read engine codes while others will read ABS and Airbag codes. The next important thing is that some will read live data while others won't. Highly recommend getting one that reads live data to aid in troubleshooting.
$100 or so will get you a good code reader that can read live data. Personally I like Acutron. If you have an Android phone there is a great app that I am unable to recall the name that connects to OBD by a Bluetooth dongle

The next step up would be a bi-directional scanner that can operate fans, turn pumps on etc but this gets you in the $2,000 scanner range. This is more for te professional
This is perfect, thank you so much for such a great answer. I will spend the $100 for something that can read live data. This Jeep isn't going anywhere so it will be handy to have one of these.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Cheep and full feature is a Bluetooth dongle from amazon and the torque pro app for you android device

The dongle plugs into the obd2 port and sends info wireless to you tablet or smart phone for display storage for review or printing

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK the ELM327 WIFI OBD2 EOBD Scan Tool can be had for under $20 and a compatible iPhone app is $10. App Store has ODB Fusion App that has gets good reviews. For $30 I will give this a shot.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
I have seen comments that the android app plays well with Bluetooth dongle but the apple devises don't play well with Bluetooth dongles and work more often with a WiFi dongle

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Knows a couple things...
49,415 Posts
Just to make sure you're aware your TJ likely can already can display its own DTCs by turning the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds and leaving the key on. Any stored DTCs will show up in the odometer in 4-5 seconds.

Only 98-00 TJs don't have this ability.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to make sure you're aware your TJ likely can already can display its own DTCs by turning the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds and leaving the key on. Any stored DTCs will show up in the odometer in 4-5 seconds.

Only 98-00 TJs don't have this ability.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks Jerry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts