Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably a very amateurish question, but can my 2000tj throw a code without throwing a CEL? My 4.0 has been running great but she has 175k now and the other day I noticed a rough idle then I went to drive across town and CEL came on and I also started noticing studdering while accelerating. When I got back home I pulled the CEL code and had 2.5 so based on that replaced the IAC and idles great now.( The old IAC looked like a chunk of charcoal, it was bad). CEL went away and as stated idles great now but still stumbles when accelerating and found that out while towing a trailer :jawdrop::censored:
Thinking maybe a o2 sensor or TPS but just wondering if I can pull a code even if I no longer have a CEL? Thanks !

Btw has brand new iridium plugs from earlier this year.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
With a code reader (not odometer trick) can pull pending codes that have not crossed threshold to set a cel

May or may not have a pending code but need a reader or dongle in obd2 port to tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Digger84.So went and picked up a code reader and found pending codes for p0133 and p0171. I’m thinking upstream o2 sensor? I smell gas smell and am definitely getting poor gas mileage. I only see 2 o2 sensors on my Jeep, one upstream and one downstream.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Upstream O2 sensor (closest to the manifold) will have the most affect on how the Jeep runs, I wouldn't worry about the downstream one yet. If you do replace it I would suggest using a NGK sensor

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upstream O2 sensor (closest to the manifold) will have the most affect on how the Jeep runs, I wouldn't worry about the downstream one yet. If you do replace it I would suggest using a NGK sensor

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I ordered one of the ngk’s and it’s supposed to come in Monday. I’ll repost if it solves everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mine did the same thing. After driving about 2 miles at 40 mph, I get on the highway on-ramp and started stuttering and bucking while trying to accelerate to highway speed. I changed two upstreams first with NGK brand sensors and problem solved.

My mini-cats failed later on, but that was another story... Glad you were able to get off fairly cheap on this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts