Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 95yj and as a whole i like it. I purchased it as a clean rust free 4banger with a ton of miles knowing this was a projec car. Ok now on to what im planning and thinking about. Im going to do a 5.3 and 700r4 conversion lift and tires. This means the exsisting dana 30/35 needs to go. Since i need to change entire drive train i was thinking of going to a coilover system. Heres why. First i figure overall the leafs work but they went to coilover fpr a reason. Secondly the fab isnt really an issue since ive built several dirt track chassis with multilink suspension so other than length of spring and size of bars there really dont seem to be alot of differance. Ok enough blabbing and back ground and onto my question. Have any of you done this and did you find it worth it? Whats everyones thoughts.i live in iowa and as such wont be doing massive rock crawling mostly mudding and some hill climbing. Mainly hopeing for increase in ride quality. OK for your time and help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. The coil and shocks would be much cheaper. Guess im just used to using coilover as the term but meant coils. As i asked though have any done it and how did they feel about it afterwards. Also is there any huge advantage to the coil overs? There would have to be a huge one for.me to consider it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm going with Air shocks on my rig with the possibility of coil overs. I frankly don't see the point in doing more work for a lesser set up. You can really dial in your rig with good air shocks or coil overs and have a lot more travel VS a coil set up. and you'll spend a lot more then $300 to put coils into your rig to do it right just the mounts alone will run you close to that. Depending on how you plan to set up your rig you can be a lot lower with coilovers and have more travel vs coils.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I disagree simply because I have run leafs, coils, coil overs, and air shocks. The best bang for the buck are coils. The money for links is the same so that's a moot point. You can build coil brackets for 20 bucks and have as much and alot of the time more travel than coil overs. Its not the C/O but more the geometry of the links that dictate how much or little the suspension travels. On my first YJ I had coils in the back and coilovers in the front, and the rear would always out travel the front. Sure you can "dial" them in, but at the cost of buying springs everytime and changing the oil/nitrogen levels etc. I do like the air shocks for the simplicity but they are still over a grand for a set.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as stated im new to this so sory if to many questions but whats with the air shocks? ive seen trucks lifted with air but dont know anything about it other than building a lowrider bagged truck for a friend. who builds them so i can do some research? im open to other plans. has anyone riden in a jeep with them? how do they ride?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts