Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of lifting my jeep yj 93 would it be a bad idea to convert my rig into full coil over springs from pro comp...? Or should I just stick with the leaf springs. Please I woul love to hear both sides.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lift coils or coil overs...big price diference..it comes down to money..

Leafs that are made to flex with shackles and nice shocks are a great combo that can't run to expensive..

Conversions always have $$$ signs.coilovers are great fully adjustable and rebuildable.

There are plenty of leaf sprung rigs that put others to shame.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There is a lot to consdier when changing to coild from leafs. Do you want to do any fab work to the stock d35?(if you still have it)

There are calculations to be made for links and trac bars, steering. If you buy a kit it will helpo for sure but coil conversion kits cost more than most yj's.

If you have the money then great. Go for it, but really you can just wait and buy a TJ. Already setup for coils and anymore you can get 4cyl tj's pretty cheap.

I have thought about it too. I am sticking with the leafs. They might not flex quite as well as some coil rigs but they are super relaible, tough as nails, and really predictable in how they act offroad.

I am sprung under lifted right now and have honestly rarely wished i had a coil jeep when i am offroad. If i go soa with some good springs and shocks It'll do even better.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
YJs have leafs, TJs have coils. Get a TJ, then you can have both. YJ built right can have extreme flex.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not really worth it IMO. Lots of money, time, and fabrication to gain just a little bit more flex that you probably won't need anyway.

The money you save by just going with a nice leaf spring setup can go to a LOT of other upgrades. Axles, tires, armor, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Contact Deaver Suspensions in Santa Ana California, they do custom Leaf Springs that will perform as good if not better than coils. All other lift kits out there are JUNK.

Ph (714) 542-3703 ask for Scott... A set of four springs will run just over $1000.00 without shackles or shocks.. I would also recomend Bilstien 5150 for shocks.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the insight I have since purchased a pro comp explorer chromoly 5" lift with es9500 shocks my mechanic is going to start the long work as he said at the end I'm looking at about 5k.+. Ill post pictures as it goes. Also if you know of any suggestion to do that will compliment the suspension let me know please it will help. In all honestly I'm a college student that is more then likely doing the wrong choice with my money but god I love my yj I've had it since my dad got it many years ago and I just couldn't see myself trading up. And sure at this point many of you are thinking wtf this kid must be a spoiled kid not the case. I was in a car accident where a person under the influence of narcotics crashed into me totaled my car against a wall broke my femur and right shoulder. So I hate to say it but I have a lil extra money right now so I'm just going to put in something I love and that's my yj.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
DamnToFresh42 said:
Thank you for the insight I have since purchased a pro comp explorer chromoly 5" lift with es9500 shocks my mechanic is going to start the long work as he said at the end I'm looking at about 5k.+. Ill post pictures as it goes. Also if you know of any suggestion to do that will compliment the suspension let me know please it will help. In all honestly I'm a college student that is more then likely doing the wrong choice with my money but god I love my yj I've had it since my dad got it many years ago and I just couldn't see myself trading up. And sure at this point many of you are thinking wtf this kid must be a spoiled kid not the case. I was in a car accident where a person under the influence of narcotics crashed into me totaled my car against a wall broke my femur and right shoulder. So I hate to say it but I have a lil extra money right now so I'm just going to put in something I love and that's my yj.
Well spent I say!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts