Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When 3/4" or 1" coil spacers are installed, is it advisable to loosen all the track bar and control arm bolts and then retighten with the Jeep on the ground?

I know this is normal for bigger lifts, but I notice this step is not listed in the installation instructions for small spacers from Daystar, Synergy, and RK.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not at all..

Remove lower shock bolts, sway link bolts, brake hose/ABS wire bracket, differential vent hose, & disconnect diff locker wiring if applicable.. lower diff-remove springs-install spacer, jack up diff & reconnect/tighten previously disassembled parts.
That's it...

BTW, no need to put vehicle on ground with any lift before tightening things up. Leave the jackstands under the frame & simply jack up the differentials to support the vehicle weight after installing 'lift' items, then tighten.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Not at all.. Remove lower shock bolts, sway link bolts, brake hose/ABS wire bracket, differential vent hose, & disconnect diff locker wiring if applicable.. lower diff-remove springs-install spacer, jack up diff & reconnect/tighten previously disassembled parts. That's it... BTW, no need to put vehicle on ground with any lift before tightening things up. Leave the jackstands under the frame & simply jack up the differentials to support the vehicle weight after installing 'lift' items, then tighten.
How is weight on the axles with jack stands still under the frame ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not at all.. Remove lower shock bolts, sway link bolts, brake hose/ABS wire bracket, differential vent hose, & disconnect diff locker wiring if applicable.. lower diff-remove springs-install spacer, jack up diff & reconnect/tighten previously disassembled parts. That's it... BTW, no need to put vehicle on ground with any lift before tightening things up. Leave the jackstands under the frame & simply jack up the differentials to support the vehicle weight after installing 'lift' items, then tighten.
With a name like ase master tech, I hate to disagree, but while I think you're right on this lift, when you are dealing with the track bar especially, and maybe control arms, you want to wait until you have the weight of the vehicle on settled on the ground. Otherwise you can get binding in the joints that can lead to it loosening a bit over time and can be a cause of death wobble.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
ASE is correct same as putting it on ground but more room

·
Registered
728 Posts
Aaahhh, read too fast and missed that part. Yeah, if you jack up the diff, you're doing the same thing as putting in on the ground, but with more space. Sorry ase!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Aaahhh, read too fast and missed that part. Yeah, if you jack up the diff, you're doing the same thing as putting in on the ground, but with more space. Sorry ase!
Yea ... Without stands under the frame. It's Not the same thing.

Honestly ... As long as your axles Are not hanging. That's fine.
I prefer to shake the jeep. Always have, and will continue to do so :thumb:

·
Registered
692 Posts
You're leaving the jack stands under the frame for convenience (ie-height) & safety. Jack up differential so frame just rests on stands (relieved of weight), then tighten all that needs tightening.

I guess I could have been a little clearer, my bad...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
You're leaving the jack stands under the frame for convenience (ie-height) & safety. Jack up differential so frame just rests on stands (relieved of weight), then tighten all that needs tightening.

I guess I could have been a little clearer, my bad...
I understood what you were saying.

·
Registered
692 Posts
IMO, 'settling' or bouncing the vehicle is not required with properly installed suspension parts which are 'loose' & then 'loaded' prior to securing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Newb here! questions-.. I put a 1 inch spacer in front that takes out the rake and levels it out- does anything in performance change? Same if I put the stiffer springs, I get a few inches to put steel bumpers on, does any performance change from stock? Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Newb here! questions-.. I put a 1 inch spacer in front that takes out the rake and levels it out- does anything in performance change? Same if I put the stiffer springs, I get a few inches to put steel bumpers on, does any performance change from stock? Thanks in advance for the replies!
No you'll be good to go

1 - 19 of 19 Posts