Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Coil spacer lift vs. Body lift?

24K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CodaMan 
#1 ·
Which is better? and What is the difference between them?

#2 ·
Coil spring spacers go inbetween the spring and where it mounts so your actually getting additional clearance. The body lift raises the body up off the frame so you can have more tire clearance only. I have both over time while money was tight but when I put a 4'' suspension lift I didn't take either of those two off.
The spacer would be the better of the two. People hate the way body lifts look especially 3'' like I have, heck even I don't like the way the gap looks. Thats the problem with Craigslist....buying cheaper stuff as it becomes availiable. With by nerf bars and my Hi-Lift jack you can't see as much but over the rear tire. But when I'm in the Jeep setting way up there I don't care about the gap or what others may think.

Attachments

#10 ·
i went with coil spacers last summer in my 97 tj, also added some longer shocks while i did the addition. an easy and pretty cheap (if buying used) way to get up a couple inches and i didn't notice any significant difference in handling. a bl isn't bad either, as long as its moderate i think, i mean it feels more comfortable around 1-1.5". i went with a 1" BL and 1" mml blocks to keep things easy and simple. since i've got my new jeep, there were some spacers up front on her, already had a 4.5" RE lift in it, but w/no carrier on it the PO threw in some 1 5/8 spacers up front to even her out, well anyways they were the first thing to go when i got back home ( i had a bumper/ carrier fab'd for me that i picked up on the ride home) its also on a 1" BL & browndog 1" motor mounts. that's not the point i'm trying to make though, what i did notice was that with the spacers gone on this new rig, WOW what a difference in ride quality. i might not have noticed much with the change & my old ride bc those were 12 yo stock shocks on her, which were pretty beaten up. so, expect some difference in the quality of ride, but if you're driving a jeep, your expectations for stuff like that can't be too high to begin with! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.