Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its probably been asked before. I have a 2.5" RC lift and it saggs slightly in the rear with the addition of a 33" spare tire and warn tire carrier. I was looking into installing a 2" coil spacer in the rear only to make up for the sag. I will be intalling MCE flatty fenders in the front for more clearance and to make it level. Would you guys suggest this?:popcorn:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
the 2" coil spacer will need 2" more bumpstop extension and new shocks, since you'll now be at ~4-4.5" of lift.

why don't you just buy springs that are higher rate for the increased weight? believe it or not, springs are designed to carry a certain amount of weight. clearly, the springs you have aren't a high enough rate.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i know that i would need new shocks..but i dont run with bumpstops, just dont have em..so that wont be necessary. I was considering 4" currie coils in the rear and running with the 2.5" RC coils in the front with a 3/4" spacer.

Either that or the 2" coil spacer, either way i will need new shocks, which is necessary due to the RC shocks not performing as well as i thought.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Check out leveling kits

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
the 2" coil spacer will need 2" more bumpstop extension and new shocks, since you'll now be at ~4-4.5" of lift.

why don't you just buy springs that are higher rate for the increased weight? believe it or not, springs are designed to carry a certain amount of weight. clearly, the springs you have aren't a high enough rate.
Im with UnlimitedLJ04 on this one. I would opt for the heavier springs in the rear. I have a 33" spare tire plus a hardtop and I had no noticable drop (I know it had to drop a tad) in the rear. That's because I opted for the heavier springs in the rear knowing I had a hardtop, a large spare and that I would be loading a lot of camp stuff for vacations plus maybe a small trailer. Remember though, that springs will sag with age (just like the rest of us).

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
i dont run with bumpstops, just dont have em..so that wont be necessary.
wow, ignorance must indeed be bliss. you got a lot of learning to do before you buy anything.

you need bumpstops for multiple reasons, most of which are to protect your vehicle from significant damage, and ultimately protect your safety and the safety of those you share the road with.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Ummm yeah. You NEED bumpstops. Listen to unlimited. .... He knows what he is talking about.

I have read up on the info he has provided to the forum over and over. Well worth the read to gain the knowledge you need to understand how important bumpstops are.

·
Registered
839 Posts
2inches is a pretty big bump in heightl unless ur jeep is sagging an inch in the rear(but u said its only slightly saggin) .u shouldnt need 2inches. mayb .75. (and who ever said leveling kits. they dont make leveling kits for jeeps its called spring spacers. thats a pick up thing) i have a 05 unlimited and since they dont make different springs for LJs my jeep sits totally level so im goin to get a .5 inch spacer so my jeep sits a lil higher in the rear.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
why not just get a set of heavy duty 3" rear springs from Savvy for $175, Most of the 2"-2.5" lift kits that come with shocks, the shocks are good for lift kits up to 3". Then when you've got another $175 get the front springs. or get both front and rear springs for $329 at the same time. then when your ready for shocks get them, and then you'll have a very nice riding suspension.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, ignorance must indeed be bliss. you got a lot of learning to do before you buy anything.

you need bumpstops for multiple reasons, most of which are to protect your vehicle from significant damage, and ultimately protect your safety and the safety of those you share the road with.
I understand that, but what i mean is that im still running on stock bump stops with 2.5" of lift.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I understand that, but what i mean is that im still running on stock bump stops with 2.5" of lift.
What unlimited is getting at is that when you lift the jeep, you have to make adjustments to your bumpstops...period. Once you add a coil spacer in, you have to add in the same size bumpstop extensions since you have just compressed your coil more, if you dont, you can experience coil bind which can result in damaged springs...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Cons_Table said:
What unlimited is getting at is that when you lift the jeep, you have to make adjustments to your bumpstops...period. Once you add a coil spacer in, you have to add in the same size bumpstop extensions since you have just compressed your coil more, if you dont, you can experience coil bind which can result in damaged springs...
...or coil loss...which is when your rear coil just falls off of the perch. Some threads on here where that has happened.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
...or coil loss...which is when your rear coil just falls off of the perch. Some threads on here where that has happened.
Interesting. From lacking bumpstops? This seems like it would be an issue with shocks that were too long...not sure how bumpstops cause this. Id be curious to hear about it :popcorn:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. The RC 2.5" lift doesn't come with bump stops. And since I'm new. And slightly retarded. Idk where to buy them or what size I need lol

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
x2. if you run a lift, you need to do your homework on compressed shocks length and you need to address the bumpstops accordingly. or, if you're ok with destroying shocks and ripping mounts off, do nothing.

Interesting. From lacking bumpstops? This seems like it would be an issue with shocks that were too long...not sure how bumpstops cause this. Id be curious to hear about it :popcorn:
that guy didn't have bumpstop extensions with his BB, so the cup was recessed into the spacer, and no jounce bumper was present (not that it will keep a coil in place tho). Under droop, the coil is basically just floating on the puck at that point...and if enough weight comes off the coil to allow it move slightly, it'll just fall out...on the street no less: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/help-fast-rear-spring-fell-out-yes-right-now-at-night-118272.html ...even if the shock was slightly too long by maybe 1/4" or 1/2", had there been bumpstop extensions & a jounce bumper, the pigtail of the coil would have had something to hold it centered during droop.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
that guy didn't have bumpstop extensions with his BB, so the cup was recessed into the spacer, and no jounce bumper was present (not that it will keep a coil in place tho). Under droop, the coil is basically just floating on the puck at that point...and if enough weight comes off the coil to allow it move slightly, it'll just fall out...on the street no less: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/help-fast-rear-spring-fell-out-yes-right-now-at-night-118272.html ...even if the shock was slightly too long by maybe 1/4" or 1/2", had there been bumpstop extensions & a jounce bumper, the pigtail of the coil would have had something to hold it centered during droop.
Interesting. I guess I missed that thread. Seeing the full story makes much more sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts