Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 jku. I was rounding a corner and it almost felt like i had a flat tire. Upon looking closer the springs are loose on the front. My question is do i just replace springs or is there any thing else i need to do? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Coil Springs shouldn’t be lose.. that’s scary! I’d check to see if they are:
1) seated properly in the retainer on the bottom axle mount
2) seated properly in the cup in the top mount

Worn springs might also be an issue since they’d possibly sag more than usual. But I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,466 Posts
you need to drop the axle enough to loosen up the coil so you can spin it back into place. there is an indent in the perch that the tang needs to slip into.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah so it looks like the lower springs aren’t inside their retainers. You could replace springs if you want to, while you’re down there and getting everything out. Otherwise just put the existing spring back into place.

Jack the Jeep up and put on jack stands. I was able to get 2” lift springs (about 19” unsprung) by supporting the Jeep with a floor jack on the frame rail behind the front tire. And using another floor jack under the differential for driver side or control arm on passenger side to let the axle droop. You can also use a spring compressor if you so wish.

Make sure when reinstalling that the lower coil spring end is seated into the little retainer before putting pressure on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah so it looks like the lower springs aren’t inside their retainers. You could replace springs if you want to, while you’re down there and getting everything out. Otherwise just put the existing spring back into place.

Jack the Jeep up and put on jack stands. I was able to get 2” lift springs (about 19” unsprung) by supporting the Jeep with a floor jack on the frame rail behind the front tire. And using another floor jack under the differential for driver side or control arm on passenger side to let the axle droop. You can also use a spring compressor if you so wish.

Make sure when reinstalling that the lower coil spring end is seated into the little retainer before putting pressure on it.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it!!

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Thanks for the help i really appreciate it!!
Yep, if you jack it up high enough to put jack stands under the frame, you should be able to droop the axle far enough to spin the springs back in. You likely need to remove the lower shock bolt to allow the additional droop.

BUT!!!!! You need a serious maintenance run on that Jeep. Your bump stops are completely gone. And it's a lifted Jeep, I can tell by the extended front sway bar links... That tells me that you are probably killing your shocks by bottoming them out.

·
Super Moderator
22,466 Posts
yes but that is tough to do as not a lot of room for a spring compressor it is much easier to lower the axle. heck you can find a stump or rock to flex on to get that side to droop enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts
I would add that if the shocks are long enough to allow the spring(s) to come loose while the shocks are still attached your shocks are too long for your springs. You either need longer springs or shorter shocks. That should not be an option, the spring coming loose when the suspension extends. Spring retainers are an option, but really the shocks and springs need to match up length wise so that doesn't happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts