Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of people, I got into Jeeping with bare minimum. I bought a used 07 Rubi JKU. When I could afford it, Rancho 3" Sport lift kit and Rancho9000 shocks.

As I gradually tried harder trails, I met people in various stages of Jeep building. This led to 37" on beadlockers, ARB, Artec axle truss, knuckles, ball joints, flipped drag link, diff covers, slider, front/rear bumper and winch.

Been pretty happy with it. I'm now in a position to spend some money and take it to the level that I want it to be. I'm talking to MoTech about a 6.0 LS motor swap and I'm going to redo the suspension.

I really want the EVO DTD in the rear and the bolt on coilovers up front. This will allow me to expand into some fast trails rather than just crawling. Great. I also planned on either Rock Krawler or EVO long arms (and track bars).

The only catch was that Robbi at MoTech suggested MetalCloak because the Duraflex joints seem to stand up better to the additional HP and torque of an LS motor.

Well... I've heard a lot of good stuff about MC. I think I'd still prefer the EVO CO, but I'd be willing to go with MC arms based on what I've read. (There's a lot of opinions, but the people who have bought and used the MC stuff have good things to day...)

I'm no expert. I think I may get close to the same articulation with the MC shortarms and EVO CO. The longarms, from what I've read, will give marginally more travel, improve the ride on high speed rough terrain, and make it easier to move up to bigger tires later (but this isn't on my roadmap). The other option is to get a quality longarm kit and maybe look into swapping to duroflex joints later if they do, in fact, wear out.

Anyways... has anyone here run CO's with short arms? If money wasn't the biggest factor, would you still do the same or would you go long arm? Finally, if anyone has done an LS swap, have the joints on your control arms given you any problems?

Thanks in advance,

LFoD

·
Registered
801 Posts
I love my Hemi, MC arms and Evo bolt on coilovers & 37's

Just to be clear, you will not gain any articulation or travel from going long arm over short arm. Your gonna get what your shocks will allow you to get.

Long arm will handle better on road, caster/pinion angles will be better and that contributes to on road high speed handling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good feedback, appreciate the reply. That's why I registered here, finally.

How long have you had the MC arms?
How have the duraflex held up?
How high-maintenance have the CO's been? (I keep hearing they aren't a bolt-on-and-forget item, but I haven't heard feedback as to how much you need to babysit them)
Have you taken this setup on both challenging crawl trails as well as some high-speed runs?

Thanks again,

LFoD

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good feedback, appreciate the reply. That's why I registered here, finally.

How long have you had the MC arms?
How have the duraflex held up?
How high-maintenance have the CO's been? (I keep hearing they aren't a bolt-on-and-forget item, but I haven't heard feedback as to how much you need to babysit them)
Have you taken this setup on both challenging crawl trails as well as some high-speed runs?

Thanks again,

LFoD
MC arms have been on the jeep under hemi power for a little over a year. And so far so good... Haven't blown one out yet.

Couldn't tell you, only had them on for a couple weeks, still waiting for my front driveshaft and weld on a raised TB bracket the new PR44.

No crawling yet, just testing with a forklift and bombing around the streets. Rides nice, sucks up a lot of the little stuff the coils and fox ressi's didn't. I can tell you that with 4 people in the Heep hitting a good size G-out at about 50mph made it bottom out the rear but I am running minimal lift. I need to get my top on and loaded for a trip and ill do some adjusting.

You can run CO's with short arms. I'm seeing some joint failures using MC joints in custom setups. Have you checked out the RK 3 link options.. Short or mid arm? Fwiw .. Their 8 arm kits move the axle back 1" giving you a bit more wheelbase and room for a 37 +

Good post HD :thumb:
Spank you senior...

I just had my arms apart to give them a once over when installing a new front end and so far so good. I've definetly been hard on them.

Also MC moves the axle back like 5/8" too, can't go much further than an inch or so then the coils come in contact with the TB and make a bunch of racket under the jeep.

It's alright I guess :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
CO and MC is my current setup. It will flex like crazy but after going to Moab and running behind some guys in DTD and CO/Long Arm setups has me thinking about moving over. On the trail my rig was awesome, but once speed picked up (say for instance he section after Pritchett) I couldn't come close to running the same speeds.

If you want high speed, one of our guys was running the DTD F and R and that setup eats it up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts