Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about the future of my jeep and I was just wondering what is the best way to upgrade the suspension on my yj? What are my options?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody knows the best way to upgrade yj suspension? Is there any way to get rid of the leaf springs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Superlift makes a conversion kit. It is very labor intensive and has mixed reviews. Most folks with a YJ prefer to stay with leafs and there are tons of options out there to upgrade your leaf suspension.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Carolina truggys makes a killer high clearance link mount then you can run pre made front long arms, clayton ect or build your own. if your not doing go fast wheeling and driving it everyday air shocks are a much cheaper option and quicker then setting up coil overs. your in for at least a solid week tuning them if not more and thats not counting waiting for new springs.

My own personal plan is the CT link mount an artec 8,8 truss out back with ruff stuff rod ends rear long arms then building a polished XJ hp30 up front then running ruff stuf rod ends in a 3 link and one of their track bars

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I figured that it would be pricey! But ill be there one day and I plan to keep my yj forever anyway so ill get it done eventually... I can't wait! What are some other less expensive ways to improve articulation?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Totally love my black diamond coilover. lost of labor involved however. Schocks just rebuilt for 700. runs like a champ again though. Does well on road and AWESOME off road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soldiertrav said:
[/IMG]

Totally love my black diamond coilover. lost of labor involved however. Schocks just rebuilt for 700. runs like a champ again though. Does well on road and AWESOME off road.
How much did you pay for it? Did you install yourself?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't think that's made anymore. The YJ stuff is now this.

Rock Krawler Catalog

Goes for around $2249 and can go from stock length all the way up to a 10" WB.

You have any option you want with your rig. You can keep leafs, you can use coils (TJ style) you can go coilover... Depends on how much fabrication you want to put into it.

If you're looking bolt on? Unfortunately not possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My kit is no longer produced as super lift bought them out. I spent around 3kish on the kit and had it installed. Took forever to find someone who could find the parts to rebuild the shocks as fox has "evolved" over the years. With the newer kits on the market today I'd say mine is a little out-dated. I'm still happy with it though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have any option you want with your rig. You can keep leafs, you can use coils (TJ style) you can go coilover... Depends on how much fabrication you want to put into it.

This might be a dumb question... But what is the difference between the tj style and the coilover?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RKUKYJ01 - stock wheel base

RKUKYJ02 - 5" rear stretch - 101" wheel base (est.)

RKUKYJ03 - 8" rear stretch - 104" wheel base (est.)

RKUKYJ04 - 12" rear stretch - 108" wheel base (est.)

**please note on YJ's we push the front axle forward approximately 2" on all systems!

When it says 5, 8 and 12" rear stretch does that mean how high it sits or how much it can flex? And why would the wheel base change? The lift will push the front axle forward? :Confused: lol

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
YJKyle19 said:
RKUKYJ01 - stock wheel base

RKUKYJ02 - 5" rear stretch - 101" wheel base (est.)

RKUKYJ03 - 8" rear stretch - 104" wheel base (est.)

RKUKYJ04 - 12" rear stretch - 108" wheel base (est.)

**please note on YJ's we push the front axle forward approximately 2" on all systems!

When it says 5, 8 and 12" rear stretch does that mean how high it sits or how much it can flex? And why would the wheel base change? The lift will push the front axle forward? :Confused: lol
It means how far back (rear) and forward (front) the axles are moved from their stock location. Which provides a longer wheel base. You want a longer one then a TJ's stock, but you dont want it too long for breakover angle problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IndyJeepMan said:
It means how far back (rear) and forward (front) the axles are moved from their stock location. Which provides a longer wheel base. You want a longer one then a TJ's stock, but you dont want it too long for breakover angle problems.
Oh I never knew that a kit could actually push the axles apart... I didn't know that was possible without messing everything up... wow that's interesting... How do you measure your wheel base? Center bore to center bore?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts